The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Calling All Southeners

RobAce

hi all,

me and burt were talking today about arranging a weekend 'gumball' trip to try and cover the whole of the south,

but that is as far as we got.

the idea is to do a back to basics trip, we arrange a start point, route(we were to thinking newquey) and a finish,

we decide on stops eg hotels and breaks, then meet as many people as poss. this means no money down and no deposits, if you want to do the whole trip you book your own hotel, or if you just do abit you meet us then go home. easy

heres where you lot come in if you want to come, we need ideas for:-

dates

destinations(my be with something there e.g run to the sun at newquey 20 somthing of may)

routes and stops

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to warn you, it's a lot of work to organise.

hay no probs,i like a challange beside i want to keep it simple just a start and a finish and as i want to do a week-end a couple of pub stops (with a hotel room for the night of course)

well start of my plan woz going to be

may 26th- meet at fleet services 12:00 (so not a too early start)

run down the m3 to the a303

about 4-5 oclock stop in plymouth for the night and a few drinks (social like)

may 27th- leave about 10ish

down the a38 to the a30 (about 50-80 miles not sure)

at newquay about 12ish

stay have a laugh

hotel around newquay somewhere

may 28th- home either in one or two stops

OK, some advice from my experience then...

One thing I will warn you about is queues. I normally try to take the Gumball via mayor roads like the A303 so people know where it is, but every time we've had to make a detour via some back roads as we've hit major traffic jams - especially as you've picked a bank holiday weekend.

You may want to enlist the help of some locals to the areas you're travelling through to suggest some alternative back routes. Better still, make sure one of those locals is leading the convoy when travelling through their area, then if you do hit traffic they can divert you all instead of sitting there for hours. Walkie talkies will be essential!

Also make sure you're aware of all the Shell petrol stations on route (for Optimax) and also plan a stop at services every two hours. Make sure everyone knows where they are going to after each stop. That way if you do get split up you can hopefully meet up again later. Swapping mobiles numbers is also a good ideal in case anyone gets completely lost and are out of range of the walkie talkies.

Although these events are excellent for blasting the cobwebs out of the second turbo, make sure people are aware of what this event is - and that is not a race. People have told me people that driving on the Gumball gives you a feeling of being invincible! It is very true, and therefore as the organiser you need to make sure people are aware of the need to drive safely as people can get carried away and that can be a million times more dangerous when you have a convoy of Supras all following you! Here is an example of what can happen if you don't pay attention to other road users!

Some other advice is with regards to keeping the convoy together. Try and make people be aware of everyone else in the convoy and to help them out if needed. For example, if you are approaching a junction on a motorway and the left hand lane is pretty busy then when someone gets into the lane they should hold back and allow everyone else to pull in front. This applies to any lane change on a busy road really. It's just common sense really.

Anyway, hope it all goes well! Make sure you get plenty of video footage and photos.

well rob wont be planning this one on his own, as i will be helping him too. we came up with this idea as i gives people the the chance of doing a gumball of this lenght without having to commit to deposits and also times are not so strict, giving people who like a layin the chance to have one, and those who dont can wash their cars... lol

as rob says we are open to suggestions as we want to give everybody the chance to have some input (if they want to)and those who dont can just follow along. So so far so good...