The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just bought some indicators, need some advice...

silvasurfa

I'm struggling to find a definate answer with a search so i'm after some help!

I have just bought the genuine Toyota clear front indicators from Whifbitz-

Are they a straight swap for the amber ones?

My Supe is a 1994 jspec.

I would physically have a look but my cars not accessible for a bit and as soon as it is I want to fit the lights...

Do I need anything else to fit these or are they a straight swap?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I can't see what's right in front of my face!:help:

Not a direct swap no.

You need the wiring harnesses unless your going to chop into the wiring to hook them up.

On a stock bumper i would imagine you will need to drill maybe 1 or 2 new holes for the bolts to go through. (I ground the third one off as i coulndt see why it needed 3 bolts)

No biggie at all though!

The link above explains how to fit the non-genuine front indicators I believe, which is slightly different, as they come without harnesses and have different bulb holders.

On the genuine OEM Toyota indicators (see photo attached), only one comes with a harness. This is because on the facelift Supras, one plugs directly into the main wiring loom and the other has a short harness to link to the loom.

There are 2 alternatives when wiring the indicator/sidelights in:

1. Buy an extra harness (around £15 from Toyota there, £10 from here), although the bulb holders on the left and right indicators are a different fit, so the lugs on the bulb holder need to be trimmed to fit the opposite side, this is quite a simple job to do.

2. Fabricate your own harness by soldering wires onto the bulb holder.

Either way the opposite end of the wires needs to be spliced onto the harness that go to the sidelights, which on the pre-facelift model are in the headlights.

Also the facelift indicator/sidelights have a different bolt fitting onto the bumper, so a hole will need drilling on each side of the bumper, again quite a simple job.

P1010414.JPG

Right, cheers for your help so far everyone-

The thing is, the ones I have are the genuine OEM Toyota ones, like Nic has mentioned-

I bought these, as from what I could make out I didn't need any other bits, it seems I was wrong! :complain:

Does anybody know of a link specific to fitting OEM clear Toyota indicators to a stock 1994 Jspec supe?:drown:

This, it seems, is what I really need?

:Popcorn:

Right, cheers for your help so far everyone-

The thing is, the ones I have are the genuine OEM Toyota ones, like Nic has mentioned-

I bought these, as from what I could make out I didn't need any other bits, it seems I was wrong! :complain:

Does anybody know of a link specific to fitting OEM clear Toyota indicators to a stock 1994 Jspec supe?:drown:

This, it seems, is what I really need?

:Popcorn:

The genuine facelift headlights and rear lights are a straight forward, plug and play swap. The indicator/sidelights are not though, because on the pre-facelift Supra the sidelighits were located inside the headlights, so the wiring is a little different.

Don't remember ever seeing a guide to fitting the genuine indicator/sidelights on here, it is a relatively easy job to fit them though. If you remove your old indicators you should see what I mean about the holes in the bumper. Then it's just a case of splicing into the right wires for the side lights and indicators.

The link above explains how to fit the non-genuine front indicators I believe, which is slightly different, as they come without harnesses and have different bulb holders.

On the genuine OEM Toyota indicators (see photo attached), only one comes with a harness. This is because on the facelift Supras, one plugs directly into the main wiring loom and the other has a short harness to link to the loom.

There are 2 alternatives when wiring the indicator/sidelights in:

1. Buy an extra harness (around £15 from Toyota there, £10 from here), although the bulb holders on the left and right indicators are a different fit, so the lugs on the bulb holder need to be trimmed to fit the opposite side, this is quite a simple job to do.

2. Fabricate your own harness by soldering wires onto the bulb holder.

Either way the opposite end of the wires needs to be spliced onto the harness that go to the sidelights, which on the pre-facelift model are in the headlights.

Also the facelift indicator/sidelights have a different bolt fitting onto the bumper, so a hole will need drilling on each side of the bumper, again quite a simple job.

Nic,

In your picture, is the one with the harness for the drivers side, or passenger side?

Is the part number of the harness: 81515-14390

Cheers

Nic,

In your picture, is the one with the harness for the drivers side, or passenger side?

Cheers

I *think* it's the drivers side but not 100% sure. If it helps the indicator with the harness is the right way up in the pic, the other one is upside down.

If you're not sure which is which, they may have an L and R moulded into the black plastic back.

• 1 month later...
Nic,thanx my front indicators, arrived today:D .If I just buy another wiring loom from Toyota will I be able to just plug it into the passenger side after I've trimmed the bulb holders as you explained?

Cheers

Ant

Hi Ant

Great :thumbs:

If you buy another harness (the same part as the other side) you will need to trim the tabs/slots on ONE of the bulb holders. If you tray swapping them around you will see what I mean. Part number for the harness is 81515-14390, here is the EPC diagram.

Picture 1.png

Hi done mine a few weeks back (93 jspec)

and used this link

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=31633

if you read this it should work, well i managed to do it and i am not to great around cars!!!

Ps in the thread attached i put the bulb numbers needed as well,

These instructions are for fitting the non-genuine front indicators, some parts are relevant, others are different when fitting the Genuine Toyota indicators.

Ummm.... Mine are Genuine Toyota indicators.

But as i said not too great with the car as yet (trying to learn honest!), but it seemed to be pretty straight forward..

If you go buy what Nic said, you'll probably be better off!,

But as in the link I went the way of double side lights and it does look quite good IMO..