The mkiv Supra Owners Club

newbie needs advice.

666upra

Hi there People! great forum youv'e got yourselvs here!!

My Name is Andy Dean and I am 19 This year.

I just need a few sujestions here.

I am currently saving up to buy and run a supra when im 21. at the moment i drive a New Astra Sport-hatch 1.6 16v SXI.

dou you guys think i should go for a non-turbo first then a T-T a few years after or, go straight for a TT?

Need Help deciding as there are so many pros and cons to both versions

Thanks for any help!! Andy d

Hi and welcome :)

well, I'd shop around for insurance, that will probably be the deciding factor that may force you to get an N/A first.

Also, although you may well be a fantastic driver already, the TT really does require some respect, if I'd have jumped into one at 19 (or even 21) I'm convinced I'd have crashed it at some stage (maybe less so at 21 but still)! That's not meant to sound patronising, just highlighting that you need a lot of self control and experience for a high power rwd super car like this, even more so if you get tempted to start tuning it! (the temptation will be strong lol) :)

well that's pretty cheap then! So it's feasable at least, maybe test drive them when you get a chance. Are you a spead freak lol? What attracted you to the supra?

How is it feasable when he cannot buy a car for 2 years? There is so much can happen in that time it is pointless taking a test drive now eh? :shrug:

How is it feasable when he cannot buy a car for 2 years? There is so much can happen in that time it is pointless taking a test drive now eh? :shrug:

yep, the world could end tomorrow and all that, but based on his original question and assuming that he will still want one in just 2 years (most people want cars like this for a period of time before getting one, sometimes much more than just 2 years) then it's reasonable to indulge in some speculation isn't it?

If he test drove them sometime between now and then, maybe even made the decision, heck it doesn't garantee he will get one or change his mind, but what does...

I used to be a massive scooby fan but i have artritis and so i now cant use a clutch!! scoobies went out the window then so i looked around found out supras where avalable in auto! been transfixed since then

sorry to hear that, The supra auto box is a good box (has a lot of fans on here) and so would make an excellent choice. Doesn't sound like you are obsessed with the speed / performance so maybe the TT part is less essential for you, so maybe an N/A auto would be ideal. Just some ideas, do some reseach over time, test drive them at an appropriate time, keep up to date with prices and insurance premiums etc and come the right time, you will be in a perfect place to make the right choice :)

Hey Andy,

I'd perhaps go for a non-turbo at 21. I got a Supra TT when I was 24 and the step-up in performance from my Celica GT was massive - far greater than I was expecting. Nearly crashed it a couple of times accelerating round corners until I was used to the power and the handling characteristics of rwd!

But, only you know how good a driver you are. If you can trust yourself to take it easy until you get used to it, then go for the TT :) They'll certainly be cheaper in a couple of years.

Just noticed you're in Cambridge too. If you haven't been in a Supra and want to know what they are like, I'd happily take you for a ride in mine.

I had my UK supra when i was 21, i moved up from a MK1 MR2 so it was a big change!

A lot of people told me id ditch it in the first month but i'm still going and haven't had no accidents, now 25! (touch wood)

The best piece of advice i got when i finished the car was to respect the power this car has.

I drove around off boost for 6 months just getting used to the car (ok, maybe i gave it a little now and again:p )

If you cant afford the insurance at 21 then you cant afford a TT period, IMO!

My advice is wait and get a Twin Turbo, no disrespect to the NA owners on here but i just prefer Turbocharged cars.

Spend the next two years saving hard and DONT loose your NCB as i believe it was a major factor in me getting insurance at such a young age!

Good luck

Hi andy, I got my supra TT in July just after i turned 20, i love it but bloddy hell did i learn somethings, and VERY quicky. I am a completly different driver now. Had some close calls and 3 points. If your going to get one, make sure you sdtart in the summer and it COMPLETLY stock because a BPU supra is very different to a stock one.

The reason why i can insure one so young is because its a UK spec (only come in TT) and i have my IAM (advanced driver).

On the bad side mate, its not like running a normal car, i have been spending over 500 pounds a month on petrol and caught the modifying bug so my car is now in the garage having a single turbo fitted. And servicing is every 6000 miles with out fail. Its a big game to get into but worth every penny.

I love my car and cannot imagine ever parting with her!

sorry people my computer is messin me around shows no threads then there again?

anyway the tt is my optimal moter as i love the fact that it is so quick! accel ect.

only a fool would jump into a TT and nail it straight away. as i only have expirience in FF cars i oviously would have to learn to drive all over again

well so long as you are 100% aware that the TT needs maximum respect, if you love speed then it's got to be a TT then. So, TT auto - easy. Good point above, build up that NCB because you are gonna need all of it and be prepared for the running costs, petrol, servicing etc - it's not that the supe is bad, it's very good in fact, but when you get into the super car league, things get accordingly pricey!

there i one advantage here,

At the moment i am registed disabled and i get the higer rate of dissability living allowence. this gives me 16,000 over 3 years to use how i want to get around, so far i have used this money on whats called a motability scheme basically a contract hire sceme at verry good rates. my astra only cost me £850 down payment for three years!

the other option is to have the money put into my bank account monthly, and this lets me buy and run my own car! 16K*3 years = £5300 per year to run my own car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what do you think of that?!!

Guest LynnKitts

Hi Andy,

I am 50 and just bought a 98 without TT. I have loved supras for years just because they are wonderful cars. I have no doubt that the TT's go faster and are worth more but the NA is still a great car that goes plenty fast. Its also nice having a car that you only see one of every month or so instead of every time you get on the highway.

Hi andy, I got my supra TT in July just after i turned 20, i love it but bloddy hell did i learn somethings, and VERY quicky. I am a completly different driver now. Had some close calls and 3 points. If your going to get one, make sure you sdtart in the summer and it COMPLETLY stock because a BPU supra is very different to a stock one.

The reason why i can insure one so young is because its a UK spec (only come in TT) and i have my IAM (advanced driver).

On the bad side mate, its not like running a normal car, i have been spending over 500 pounds a month on petrol and caught the modifying bug so my car is now in the garage having a single turbo fitted. And servicing is every 6000 miles with out fail. Its a big game to get into but worth every penny.

I love my car and cannot imagine ever parting with her!

Good point on insurance when i got mine at 22 it was more expensive to insure a non turbo than a uk tt now at 24 i pay 750 through sky, all mods declared and 5 years ncb 3 points,points not earned from the mk4 by the way but a mk3.

Any way goodluck and hope you join one of the car familys with the biggest grin always on their faces

• 3 weeks later...
Guest iaintait

new guy needs advice, just boiut myself a mint 97 tt auto want to find out how much power the autobox can handle reliably. also want to start as i mean to go on, 1 thing at a time but the best of everything to complement each other, wheres the best place to start, cars totally standard apart from suspension an 19s