The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I need a track day helmet

Ark

OK people, need to get a helmet by this time week. I want BS 6658-85 A approved to be sure, can't seem to get that at the local bike shop. Are there any useful shops in the Winchester, Basingstoke, Southampton area?

Not sure about full face or open face, but need to be able to communicate with an instructor...

Not happy about buying online, because I want to try it for fit, and am short on time.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks!

motorbike shop, cheapest ones are normally about £45 and the price just goes up and up from there.

JB

Since 2004 all Motorcycle helmets have to comply with the ECE22-05 directive and not the BS6658, this is why you will find it difficult to get one in a bike shop.

Some manufacturers still get a BS pass for their lids but as it is no longer compulsory they don't bother as it is an expensive and un-needed application.

You may find some 'older stock' with the BS stamp but beware of buying these, all helmets have a made on date inside the lining attched to the protective shell.

Your best bet will be a car racing shop or at the track, possibly a kart circuit or try Demon Tweeks or somewhere similar.

HTH

:)

Hi Ark, just been down this very route myself.

I too did not like to buy off the internet as you do need to test fit for size. In the end I used a local bike shop and tried on many different types from £50 up to £250. As I only need it for occassional track use I opted for an Arashi, only cost me £50, fits perfect, has fully removable washable liner & is full face.

I think it is the "turbo".

I also phoned a few track day organisers (book a track, easy track, mithril racing) to check whether a ACU gold or ECE 22-05 type approved bike helmets would be OK and they all said yes.

HTH

Rich

So it seems the general consensus is that a bike helmet will be OK. That'll help, because we can just go back to the local bike shop then.

Do the organisers at track days go round checking people's labels? Sounds like they perhaps _should_ but let's face it, the practicalities of that would be ridiculous!

Since 2004 all Motorcycle helmets have to comply with the ECE22-05 directive and not the BS6658, this is why you will find it difficult to get one in a bike shop.

Some manufacturers still get a BS pass for their lids but as it is no longer compulsory they don't bother as it is an expensive and un-needed application.

You may find some 'older stock' with the BS stamp but beware of buying these, all helmets have a made on date inside the lining attched to the protective shell.

Your best bet will be a car racing shop or at the track, possibly a kart circuit or try Demon Tweeks or somewhere similar.

HTH

:)

thanks, didnt realise that at all.

How old is 'old' and should I therefore look at changing my helmet as I have had it for about 8 years now..

JB

So it seems the general consensus is that a bike helmet will be OK. That'll help, because we can just go back to the local bike shop then.

Do the organisers at track days go round checking people's labels? Sounds like they perhaps _should_ but let's face it, the practicalities of that would be ridiculous!

I always use a bike helmet , and they never have checked the labels ,

I have a simpson one like stigs

Oh and you bet your ass there pricey !

SIM4001W.jpg

I always use a bike helmet , and they never have checked the labels ,

I have a simpson one like stigs

Oh and you bet your ass there pricey !

Chris, up untll recently the only Simpson helmet you could buy was a car lid anyway.

It was bought by bikers because it looked aggressive but it didn't pass the relevent tests.

So yours is possibly a car helmet anyway.

;)

What happens after 4 years? What is it that goes wrong?

All materials age and lose their strength.

Plus the fit can become loose due to wearing, thus reducing the protectiveness.

Every time the helmet gets knocked/dropped it sustains damage (usually unseen) so equally they should be changed if dropped.

HTH:OK:

All materials age and lose their strength.

Plus the fit can become loose due to wearing, thus reducing the protectiveness.

Every time the helmet gets knocked/dropped it sustains damage (usually unseen) so equally they should be changed if dropped.

HTH:OK:

When I think back to my Motorcross days, the amount of times I dropped my helmet was un-countable, usually with my head still in it! (hmmmm...that explains a few things!):looney:

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking as someone whose life has been spared on more than one occasion by a crash helmet, don't buy a cheap helmet and NEVER buy second-hand. If you want it for motorsport and I include track days, buy a proper motorsport spec helmet. If you're using it in a closed car and need to talk, buy an open face helmet - you'll find track instructors all use them - usually the Sparco Pro Jet.

Grand Prix Racewear in Chiswick will have them.

ProJet.jpg