The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre Wear - Replace?

Pixelfill

Right, I've just been crawling around under the car and noticed that the inner edge of the front tyres is very worn compared to the rest of the tyre. The tread is nearly gone, while the outer edge, and the majority of the rest of the tyre have plenty of tread remaining.

The question is can I swap the tyres between the front wheels to try and even out the wear, this will then obviously put the wear on public display. How do the police determine bald tyres, is it a percentage cover over the surface of the tyre.

It's too dark to get pictures, but I'll try to get some tomorrow.

I don't believe the tracking is out, is this a symptom of the geometry, I have read plenty of times that the inner edge of the tyres gets a hammering on the Supe.

Please tell me I'm not going to have to get new tyres this close to Christmas :(

thanks guys

Mike

I don't believe the tracking is out, is this a symptom of the geometry, I have read plenty of times that the inner edge of the tyres gets a hammering on the Supe.

Exactly what my garage told me yesterday when my car was in for its MOT! So, 2 new tyres set aside for next week (what's that £340 for 2 Eagle F1's?)

Hopefully I wont get hammered on too much else.

Does anyone know why the inner edge gets much more wear? The outer edge & middle had loads of tread left on mine :(

The question is can I swap the tyres between the front wheels to try and even out the wear

Certain tyres can only rotate in one direction, so not always possible.

You need 1.6mm throughout a continuous band comprising the central three-quarters of the breadth of tread and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.

My front tyres were ruined by the alignment being wrong, it’s sorted now and they are aren’t showing any signs of uneven wear. I've just had to change the rears though as the middle of the tyre was warn out and the outside still had about 7mm left but think that must have been over inflation.

Certain tyres can only rotate in one direction, so not always possible.

You need 1.6mm throughout a continuous band comprising the central three-quarters of the breadth of tread and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.

Yeah I was thinking of getting the tyres physically swapped between the two wheels, therefore maintaining the direction of rotation, but swapping the outer and inner edges. This would obviously involve a trip to the tyre shop anyway, so hopefully they'll give me an unbiased opinion on the tyre. However I supect I'll get forced to buy some new tyres with a threat that they'll inform the police if I don't. :(

II think that I would satisfy the criteria above, it's just whether the worn section has compromised the whole tyre stability.

Mike

Mike

Yea mine have worn right down on the inner edge too,this only started happening after i fitted the 18s.I was gona look into getting the alignment checked but have since heard there aint many people who can get it right,and dont they just set it up to standard settings?and i know it aint cheap.

Standard setting should be fine for stock wheels, but I've got 18's so would the standard settings be right for them. There was an article on MKIV.com about geometry settings, and how the standard settings with 18's weren't good, and that some other recommended settings were better, but resulted in inner edge wear IIRC. I'll see if I can dig the article out in a minute. In the mean time I managed to get some pictures, I'm not sure if you can make them out but in your opinions will these be okay if I swap them over.

PIG: yes I know what you mean, but what settings should I be using?

Front Left viewed from the front

http://www.pixelfill.co.uk/images/Left_Tyre1_thumb.jpg

http://www.pixelfill.co.uk/images/Left_Tyre2_thumb.jpg

Front Right Viewed from the front

http://www.pixelfill.co.uk/images/Right_Tyre1_thumb.jpg

http://www.pixelfill.co.uk/images/Right_Tyre2_thumb.jpg

click for larger images

Thanks

Mike

That looks pretty bad, simular to mine. Shouldnt think you will get them through an MOT. + not worth scrimping as they could lead to understear!

I used cambridge performance tires. Obviously way too far for you, best to ask around and see. I didnt know settings were needed i just thought they lined it all up!?!?!