The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need to get better brakes

Adam

I can supply fast road, or race compound pads for the existing brakes, the race ones will make a twin turbo on the same size brakes live on a race track. MUCH cheaper than bigger brakes, not as good but very cost effective. A LOT opeople on here use them. 130 quid a full car set. Add some decent fluid (I use, sell and recommend Motul RBF600) and maybe some braided brake hoses and the brakes you have will be transformed.

..and don't forget it's far more desirable to upgrade the rears at the same time as the fronts if you're going the upgrade route in order to retain proper braking balance.

As Chris says though, decent pads, braided lines and a good flush does wonders.

Chris is right (of course ;) ). A pad upgrade along with new 5.1 and braided lines completely transformed the brakes on my car, I've taken a few club members out in it and they couldn't beleive it had the smaller brakes. They do fade and heat up much quicker than large brakes though.

They're not a replacement for the larger ones, but cost 5-10 times less!

I had some fast road pads and braided hoses for my Jap setup. Moved to UK setup with fast road pads and Motul 5.1 fluid. I was quite dissapointed!

The UK setup is just a little better, main advantage is you don't get brake fade.

I definitely think it's not worth it for a n/a supra or a stock TT with speed limiter (IMO)

Stick with fast pads, braided lines and good fluid

Disagree- getting the UK brakes all round is by far the best thing I've ever done, car-wise.

:yeahthat: couldn't agree more, the larger spec brakes are far superior.

Ro have you checked that your brake master cylinder isn't moving, like Loks said his was, see thread [thread=55361]HERE[/thread]. If it is, it could be worth investing in a brace for it.

If anyone wants prices for larger spec brakes, I am able to supply at a big saving over Toyota UK prices. I have already run a coupel of group buys and supplied dozens of members.

I have price list of all parts required to upgrade to the larger spec brakes (4pot front/2pot rear) if anyone wants a copy please email me at the link in my signiture and I will forward you a copy.

Disagree- getting the UK brakes all round is by far the best thing I've ever done, car-wise.

LOL! I've had UK owner drive mines on the Jap setup who has said the breaking was great!

:yeahthat: couldn't agree more, the larger spec brakes are far superior.

Ro have you checked that your brake master cylinder isn't moving, like Loks said his was, see thread [thread=55361]HERE[/thread]. If it is, it could be worth investing in a brace for it.

Brake system is fine Nic.

I'm just saying that Fast road pads, good fluid and braided hoses make a good difference on Jap setup.

I think Terribleturner also agrees that they are better (UK setup) but not greatly.

Ro

Yeah i'm with Ro although i did have to use them in an emergency a week or 2 back and they did do better than i thought. I just felt it's alot of money for the upgrade and i was expecting more (guess i'll see it with the single in place), but at the end of the day if they help me miss any potential accidents then they're good enough for me. The upgrade of pads, fluid and lines is defintatly worth it on the j-specs IMO.

If you do track days or drive country roads, the UK brakes are much better - especially with uprated pads, fulid and lines IMO.

Really does depend on what you want to spend, but bare in mind these babies are heavy lumps of metal that occasionally need seriously reigning in when you get over excited.