The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nicest gear knob?

SuperSupra

I had the Momo Tomahawk but it's just too big, want something smaller to really make the most of the quick shifting. Feels like I'm in a transit van with that one so stuck the standard one back in.....anyone want it? Cost £40 something quid new, and only been in my car for a couple of days. I just don't like the look of it.

How did you do it? I have the techno one above in alu and want to do the same.:)

I modified it so the sleeve for the lift-up reverse will go up into the knob as far as the dashed line.

Inside the knob is a steel insert which you have to remove

I removed the carbon bit which is stuck on and then removed the screw that goes into the the steel insert.

Discarded the cap and then pulled out the steel insert which was very tight, I can't quite remember exactly but I used something to grip it which I held in a vice.

I then cut off the end of the steel insert to the level indicaed by the dashed line. Put it all back together and then glued a plastic sleeve inside which would enable it to be screwed onto the threaded gear shaft.

I also removed a few threads on the gear shaft.

Don't do it unless you're confident. You could easily ruin it, mines good though and goes great with the black leather seats and my Toyota carbon steering wheel! :D

I have the same one as you Garath, except I think mine is the all leather one (will have to check though, forgotten right now lol) anyway it's really nice but also have the same bit of shaft showing doh. Kinda got used to it now, not going to cut it! Don't really notice unless you're looking

I have the same one as you Garath, except I think mine is the all leather one (will have to check though, forgotten right now lol) anyway it's really nice but also have the same bit of shaft showing doh. Kinda got used to it now, not going to cut it! Don't really notice unless you're looking

Yeah i got used to mine now. Like you said you can only really notice it if you look at the knob side on from eye level.