The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Scooby owner looking at a change of heart!

Guest Mass

Hi chaps!

Newbie here :looney: A mate of mine in the process of buying a stunning TT auto UK spec, and the more I see it the more I want one!!:drool: But to be honest I don't really know that much about them:innocent:

I own a '98 UK Turbo Subaru Impreza at the mo, and I love it, but it's starting to get the "Chav" name tag :thumbdown and I worry that something might go wrong or bang.

So, my questions are...

Are they more reliable than the Subaru? (I imagine they are, being 3.0ltr Straight 6!:eyebrows: )

What price would I pay for a nice TT manual, preferably black? Not fussed if it's Jap or UK.

Are they as much fun as an impreza? The handling of the Scoob is second to none so you can really throw it into corners!

And what sort of price would I pay for servicing?

Many thanks for your help :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi chaps!

So, my questions are...

Are they more reliable than the Subaru? (I imagine they are, being 3.0ltr Straight 6!:eyebrows: )

Yes 10 fold

What price would I pay for a nice TT manual, preferably black? Not fussed if it's Jap or UK.

Manuals are very hard to come by especially UK Man's Jap manuals are more common and very desirable, dont overlook the auto though as most newbie's do

Are they as much fun as an impreza? The handling of the Scoob is second to none so you can really throw it into corners!

Not as chuckable as an imprezza, but slap your right foot down in a straight line and you will eat most things for dust....two very different car

And what sort of price would I pay for servicing?

Depends whats wrong with it

Welcome by the way

Supra TT is very very reliable - hasn't got a stressed 2.0 engine for starters!

Not sure about price, they have taken a real tumble lately but still expect to pay 10k+ for a nice example of a black manual, I would have thought, though you might be lucky and get a bargain - just talking in general here.

Loads of fun! You will be grinning from ear to ear.

Lots of power at this time of year = be careful as there is not much grip around

I used to have a 4wd delta integrale circa 300bhp and in conditions that suit the supe it would outhandle and out perform the integrale in every respect, however if you are going across ice, snow, heavy rain etc the 4wd has the upper hand on traction - although that still won't garantee it will be faster (as there is more to a car than just 4wd i.e. brakes, stability, lateral g force etc...)

anyway, go test drive one and decide for yourself! That's the best way at the end of the day...

Mate, i sold my 2000 UK Turbo Impreza last June and got a jap spec turbo Supra. Got pissed off with having to repair the gearbox every 6 months at £500 a time. The scoob had a full decat and sounded awesome, i still miss that part of it sometimes, but i dont regret getting the Supra in anyway.

It feels far more solid to drive, is a lot faster, looks so much better than the scoob and you see far less of them around compared with scooby's.

The scoob was a LOT of fun to drive, as others have said, you can happily chuck it into a corner doing silly speeds and come out of it doing even more silly speeds. Personally i wouldnt drive the Supra like that, it deserves a lot more respect.

Best thing to do is drive your mates when he gets it and see what you think.

Christian

Thanks for the replies fellas, I think I do need to drive one to finally make up my mind, but it's just bringing myself to put the scoob up for sale!

So if you know anyone one that wants one let me know and I'll send the info!!:D

Thanks again though, and I'll keep my eyes peeled on here ;)

Hello old chap!

I thought I was convincing you - guess those last pics were the final straw huh? :woot:

Hopefully you'll be able to try out an auto personally soon & see you don't ned a manual. Don't talk about that car at the moment though - don't wanna jinx it. You know what happened last time :cry:

Definetly! the hardest thing i found was selling mine. It was a very good, honest, clean example but there were so many for sale cheaper (but not as good) and unfortunately these are the ones that the younger generation are now picking up. Not sure what yours is like, but it sometimes takes a little wait to find a specific person looking for a specific car.

So my advise to you, is stop wasting time and get it up for sale quick so you can enjoy driving a Supe this Summer!

Oh yeah, and if your mate is buying a UK, out do him by getting the 'better' j-spec! :) oops, did i say that out loud! :)

Hello old chap!

I thought I was convincing you - guess those last pics were the final straw huh? :woot:

Hopefully you'll be able to try out an auto personally soon & see you don't ned a manual. Don't talk about that car at the moment though - don't wanna jinx it. You know what happened last time :cry:

Hello mate, thought it was you!!!:nyah:

You've convinced me but you've got to let me have a test drive of "that" car just to push me over the edge!;) Still need alot of encouragement to get it up for sale.

Stonkin: This is mine at the moment but will remove the graphis before it goes up for sale ;)

Gonna miss it!

Have the Supra TT for about a month and can't speak from Scoob perspective as I've never owned one, but compared to my Lancer Evo, I find the Supra to be a better car generally. Not as hardcore as the 4WD turbos, but easy to drive in comfort and great when I want to drive it quick!!.

4WD always better re traction in corners etc, but its just a matter of changing your driving style and finding your limits with the Supra. Lancer makes one feel like you the best driver in the world because its very forgiving when doing something stupid, but the Supra will bite you :devil:

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

i still miss that part of it sometimes

im with you stonkin.....i had an impreza as my last car....do miss the sound though.....but love my supra

sh1te, it must just be me then but I don't like the sound of modded subarus at all. They always sound something like a misfiring fart in a tin can lol.

Anyway can't see how you would miss it for long, the sound of an inline 6 is glorious, especially with a good cat-back exhaust, even better still with no cats too :D :woot:

the cars are quite different. Some people say 4wd is ideal for learner drivers lol. I wouldn't go that far but you do adapt, the supe can still be very quick around the bends but once it's on the long sweeping bends or on the straight there is no touching it.

I'd say only about 10% of the time (in fact less than that) do I wish the car had 4wd style handling - most of the time it's not really an issue at all - but I appreciate the extra power and better looks it has 100% of the time lol - guess that says it all :)

Hello and welcome.

I sold my stripped out 350bhp classic to buy my supra, I guarantee you wont be disappointed! For a start it looks like a supercar and to be honest it goes like one. The Scooby is a good car after a R5 GTT or RST, but no match for the mighty Supra!

I have had Skylines and all sorts of other cars and the Supra is the best car I have owned as an all round car. Off boost it as mild mannered as a jag, let the revs rise though and all hell breaks loose and the smiling starts.

Just sell your scoob now :whip: , you wont look back after the first time you nail the throttle on the Supra, just make sure its dry :whistle:

By the way, I also didnt want a auto, but drove one and was very surprised, wouldnt have a manual now unless I was going for 600+bhp, which I dont reckon I would ever want.

Good luck if you decide to join the ranks, as a bonus they seem like a friendly, helpful bunch on here, much better than scoobynet lot for example :yes: :yes:

Guest Flat4_ire
Mate, i sold my 2000 UK Turbo Impreza last June and got a jap spec turbo Supra. Got pissed off with having to repair the gearbox every 6 months at £500 a time. The scoob had a full decat and sounded awesome, i still miss that part of it sometimes, but i dont regret getting the Supra in anyway.

It feels far more solid to drive, is a lot faster, looks so much better than the scoob and you see far less of them around compared with scooby's.

The scoob was a LOT of fun to drive, as others have said, you can happily chuck it into a corner doing silly speeds and come out of it doing even more silly speeds. Personally i wouldnt drive the Supra like that, it deserves a lot more respect.

Best thing to do is drive your mates when he gets it and see what you think.

Christian

replacing the gearbox every 6 months!! u must be one rough c*nt with a car if thats the case, ive had my Import 2dr Impreza STi Type R for one year now and not a snitch out of her, scoobs are reliable, its just some of the gobshites that drive em cant look after em!!

Guest Flat4_ire
All my mates that i have with Scooby's have suffered blown gearboxes & engines speaks for it self matey i know your love a Supra sell your scooby & put your cash into some class

i am sellin the scooby ;)

i reckons its the fecking english u know that?? i live in southern ireland and not one out of my 5 or so friends who have scoobies have had any problems with theirs, engines and gearboxes, scoobynet would turn anyone off buying a subaru!! log on each day and its all "help me ive blown my engine" or "gearbox doin this n that", dunno what way u guys drive your cars over there, something goin on though ;)

Stonkin: This is mine at the moment but will remove the graphis before it goes up for sale ;)

I think I recognise that car, did you used to go to the Reading Jap car meet?

There's another meet planned this month (17th?), there'll be a few supe's there - if you can make it i'm sure someone will let you have a go :)

..Oh yeah, and if your mate is buying a UK, out do him by getting the 'better' j-spec! :) oops, did i say that out loud! :)

yeah, smart move:OK:

the lighter weight that results from cloth interior, less rads and plastic headlights is easier to shift with the smaller injectors and even easier to stop with the smaller brakes.:read:

I own a '98 UK Turbo Subaru Impreza at the mo, and I love it, but it's starting to get the "Chav" name tag

:conf: Starting to? The Impreza has had that rep for ages, hasn't it? You've only got to read some of the posts by our own resident chavster Flat4_ire to see what I mean.

Those graphics on yours don't do it any favours either mate, in the chav stakes.

Anyway, like others have said, get yourself a few Supra TT test drives and see what you reckon. Good luck