The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre Pressures

lui

tyre pressures will vary from car to car depending on the weight .... generally for a Supra it is around the 36psi region. Mostly it is a gauge of how your tyre is wearing away. And handling can improve or worse in wet or dry on the same pressure.

So I always tell everyone to experiment within a safe pressure range to what suits you best.

So try anything from 32psi upto 40psi... but keep from and rear at similar pressure.

I run 38psi front and 36psi rear on my UK-spec as this gives the best tread wear across the whole of the tyre.

I've been wondering this too and my tyres are the same sizes as yours.

So far I'm at 34 psi all round and that seems good. I think slightly more at the front vs back might work better though, maybe 32 rear 34 front or 34 rear 36 front. Having grip issues with the rear though so tending to keep the PSI down a touch.

Usually the manufacturer's recommended pressures are a good starting point, and then you experiment with a few psi less here and there.

You soon find the optimal setup for your conditions.

36psi all around is for safe autobahn speeds on stock 17"wheels.

For plodding around town you could perhaps do with a few psi less.

On another note isnt 235 front and 275 rear to big a difference?

Stock is 235 front and 255 rear, how does that affect the handling and characteristics of the car?

:)

I think this is a pretty common setup on supra's with aftermarket wheels isn't it, seems to work well on mine but still not enough grip at the back!

they sit nicely on 10J rims - they are wider, lower profile and larger (18") - put it this way, I won't be swapping them for 255s!

In fact my next set might be 285s I think.

Agreed a bad match of tyre/wheel is worse than stock, I think 275/285 on ~10J rims is a good match though.

• 1 year later...

noticed the car had oversteer i think you call it that,changed the pressure on the rear 255x40x17" tyre to 34psi ,changed the front 235x45x17" tyre to 36psi, what a diffarence pull away off roundabout no more problems and with a slow drzzle on the road aswell.

the pressure was between 30-32psi all round with the feeling of turning from the rear exiting the roundabout (i dont mean sliding from the rear either).

will now stick with those pressures ,what a total change in the hadling of the car,thanks for all your advice above[GRIN][/GRIN]