The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Losing the back end!

chilli

Twice over the winter period I've had the back step out on me in 3rd as the 2nd turbo comes online with urgency (foot down). It happened today, going in a straight line in the dry! Ok I don't mind/expect it in low gears at low speed (or in the wet or ice), but this is at a reasonable speed in reasonable conditions!

My car has not that long been BPU'd so to some extent I'm learning its characteristics / capabilities.

On the back I have near new Falkon 275-35-18's - these seemed really good when I first got the car.

It's probably just the combo of BPU, the time of year and that I need RLTC (that goes without saying) - but in addition now I'm just wondering about my tyres, are they not up to the job?

Has anyone else had any trouble with them? Do I just need RLTC or will I initially be covering up for inadequacies in the tyres until I change them? In which case I'll change theem first before RLTC I expect!

In conditions like the last few weeks, 2nd turbo will probably mean some slip if you don't have RLTC. I don't have RLTC and if i let the 2nd tubby come on line the wheels are spinning. Falken tyres are ok, not the greatest but not shite, a lot of people find Goodyears to be a good all round tyre.

I have falken but 265-35-ZR19's.

These are not the best tyres for the current road conditions to be honest but they do grip well but not as good as some of the other well known brands such as goodyear's.

I usually take it easy on the throttle till I get to about 4500rpm's and then give it a bit more on the loud peddle when the car is pulling nicely :)

Must learn to drive with brain in gear at all times, especially in this weather!

Well said fella :)

Even at this time of year a dry road is still a really greasy road from all the shit put down to stop them icing over. Needs a good spell of rain to clear it all away.

Definately ;)

Continental contact sports and they r ok....but wait till the roads are drier...some people actually take their Supras off the road in winter..

There is a surpise element with Supra driving in the winter months...i am always waiting for the arse to slip out...concious of it a lot more and on my guard for it...it happens..i dont have RLTC so cant comment on that...the power delivery on BPU like mine..can be quite agressive especially with the cold air...and slip out often happens...

the power delivery on BPU like mine..can be quite agressive especially with the cold air...and slip out often happens...

I think this is what I'm finding, regardless of the absolute bhp level (not dyno'd yet) the sudden transition to turbos 1+2 and the large torque you get seems to be able to spin the wheels real easy.

Will try to accomodate for this then, doesn't help that I don't drive it every day, I usually drive a 40-50 bhp 1.2 or an 80 bhp (yes thats a whole 80 bhp, no less) 1.4 lol

Really am thinking RLTC can be the best thing for the car next, you not considering it yourself?

lol well another driving style I adopt is to get into the low gears asap, almost straight into 6th, lucky the motor is so torquey :D pulls like a train, still leaves most things behind anyway :D

Presumably the downside of the auto is sudden kick down/gear change just when you don't want it, especially bad for this time of year. I can't see how that is better than a regular manual though - but keeping to the lowest gears (auto or manual) does seem to make a lot of sense, just driving off of turbo no #1.

I guess it's my own fault, for giving it too much right foot in 3rd at this time of year.

probably it's just a combo of:

I used to own a 4wd.

I've never had a car quite so powerful before.

It's slippery.

I could have slightly better tyres.

The cars standard traction control is poo.

I need RLTC to compensate for the above.

Oh and I like giving it some welly lol - doh!

Mate, Glad to see your considering RLTC, before mine went on i had the back go more than once at 80 MPH :shock: went a couple of time when i really wasnt expecting it aswell! Sometimes one cant help the heavy foot but RLTC takes the brain out of your penis and puts it back in your head that reminds you not to push it in these conditions!

I don't think at this time of year that any tyres will cope with the lack of grip on the roads. You just can't keep the heat in them unless you are on the ragged end all the time ... which you can't do without losing your licence !

My wheels were spinning at 90 in 3rd, but if you know its coming, its nothing to worry about, just back off to 1/2 throttle until they grip and then ease the power on again. Dont recommend coming off the throttle completely as that can cause more trouble ... especially if there is someone behind you ! Dont be tempted to 'steer' into any sideways movement as you will most likely spin when the weight transfers over, just wait for the car to straighten itself out when the wheels grip again.

Might be worth checking your tyre pressures though ... so many people dont do this at this time of year and it can make a HUGE difference to the grip levels you get ... regardless of tyre brand :Pling:

ok cheers for the advice, whats a recommended pressure for my tyres?

When I first got it, it was at 30psi all round which felt a bit low/spongy.

Since I've gone to 32 and now 34 at the moment.

sizes are front 235/35/18 and rear 275/35/18 I think, fronts a Bridgestone's and havn't slipped once yet, seem really nice, maybe I need those for the back but suspect they cost a reasonable £

Good to hear RLTC does it's job nicely too, must start a fund for it!