The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power Steering Noise

AlanM

HIYA

Happy New Year to one and all

Have a power steering problem. Went out the other morning and washed the supra and then started it up to warm it up (it was about -7C at time so I was not going anywhere in the Soop). Had a loud whirring noise from the power steering which increasedas you turned wheel. Switched off and thought it might be ice on belts following washing/rinsing it. Went out just now, topped up fluid, and it did not require a lot, and started car up. It is still whirring, very loudly at that. It is above freezing today. There was no buid up of noise, just appeared suddenly. The power steering is working perfectly, which is confusing me

Is that the pump knackered? How big a job to change it? Should I try draining/changing the fluid first? How easy is this?

Any suggestions welcome

If the you've never changed the fluid then its likely the PS fluid has never been changed. Your system is probably full of gunk now which is causing the noise. Do a full PS fluid change (easy to do) and then check for any further loss of fluid later on.

• 11 months later...
HIYA

Happy New Year to one and all

Have a power steering problem. Went out the other morning and washed the supra and then started it up to warm it up (it was about -7C at time so I was not going anywhere in the Soop). Had a loud whirring noise from the power steering which increasedas you turned wheel. Switched off and thought it might be ice on belts following washing/rinsing it. Went out just now, topped up fluid, and it did not require a lot, and started car up. It is still whirring, very loudly at that. It is above freezing today. There was no buid up of noise, just appeared suddenly. The power steering is working perfectly, which is confusing me

Is that the pump knackered? How big a job to change it? Should I try draining/changing the fluid first? How easy is this?

Any suggestions welcome

Hi there, just checking the old threads,

I have a simiular situration as you, did you manage to get it sorted?

was it the fluid or the pump?

cheers

Hi there, just checking the old threads,

I have a simiular situration as you, did you manage to get it sorted?

was it the fluid or the pump?

cheers

See answer above in his post, it was the fluid that was low and needed topping up and bleeding.

If your power steering is making a noise, it may just be down to low fluid and air in the system. Top up fluid, leave the cap off and turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times to get rid of any air in the system, top up fluid again if needed. Hopefully this should sort things out.