The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost Leak Maybe??

terribleturner

After getting my car Dynoed last year i thought that there may be a slight boost leak. But today i put my foot down and think i saw my boost gauge rise about a second before the turbo actually kicked in. Do you think this may indicate a boost leak?? Also fo what reason would my turbo's be coming on line later than usual??

did you have some sort of missfire or hesitation?

Nothing :(

Is your boost gauge electronic or manual.

If electronic, is there a fault in the sender unit?

Manual i think, one of the only things left on the car since i bought it i havn't touched yet :D

Boost before turbo's? Isn't that like a chicken before egg or something like that?

Are you sure you're not just seeing the boost rise under vacuum? What did it rise to?

A boost leak would be the other way around. Turbo's spinning but no boost at all.

Yeah that's what my thought was. The needle bounced up to 1.2bar which i would usually have it set at. It may be that i got confued because i couldn't get it to do it again. How about the fact when i plant my foot the boost doesn't kick in as fast as it used to?? Any ideas on that?

Reaching the right boost setting is fine as i'm always playing with it. The IC is about a year old so don't think it's that. It could very well be the turbo's as i didn't think they looked great when i was around that area last. I need to go round the engine and check for leaks when i get a free minute.

Another boost gauge question. If the hose to the back of the gauge wasn't a tight fit, would this cause me problems??

Think if the pipe to the gauge was loose you would see less on the gauge but the car would still pull as it always has done, so don't think it could be that. Oh but then again it might depend where that pipe has been tapped into on the engine. Might be worth double checking all your pipework. Is it possible your BOV is slightly faulty? Bit of a long shot since I think this would stop you seeing full boost, just a thought though.