The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blitz Boost Controllers

Alex

Dual Solenoid Boost control  for £380 ex vat

SBC-iD Boost control for £500 ex vat

What's the difference between these two? They are both Blitz, and I think we might have mentioned them before but I can't remember where....I did a search and it came up empty

Don't know if this will help: DSBC has: Four pre-set programmes for four different levels of boost/scramble function which allows a peak overboost for a set period of time/overboost audible warning & boost cut-real time display of boost pressure/peak boost display/manual setting for 'volume' type control of boost. Unit has dial at each end & display in middle - LH dial controls 'mode'(8 different modes,control,meter,peak warning, limit,scramble,channel,off); RH dial controls 'volume'(set boost manually, or pre-programme 4 channels). Display reads L-R, Peak/Warn (channel number peak indication warning-red display & buzzer) Backlit LCD (realtime boost pressure measured in bar) Boost(Bar)accurate to 0.5%.

Uses 2 solenoids to divert, will control up to 2.5 bar accurately (their claim not mine!)

SBCiD - I am struggling with this,only have Japanese catalogue page! This has two units, shows various readouts on both such as 'boost digital'  'boost graphic' graphs with 'peak' & 'now' 'chassis dynamo' 'speed min/peak/now' etc etc..waay over my head, obviously a lot more tech than the other one! If you have a fax I can send you a copy of the pages, or will post if you email your address. This unit costs BTW 59,800 Yen...

Actually, talking about the Blitz DSBC (and boost controllers in general for the Supra) do they increase boost on the FIRST turbo ??

I was told that they only actually increase boost on the SECOND turbo.

Can anyone who has a DSBC confirm ?  

Does the Apexi also only control boost on 2nd turbo ?

Can they be configured to control boost on first turbo too ?

I have some rather nice pictures of the SBC-ID which I will post up into shop tonight for all to see. Its a lovely piece of kit which is basically the next generation over the DSBC. It has real time graphs of not only boost but also 2 other inputs of your choice and it stores those graphs so you can see what the car did over a set period. Pretty useful on a twin turbo.

JB

Guest Martin F

Is there any advantage over having the older Dual Solenoid Boost controller as compared to the later Solenoid Boost Controller ??

Or have I got my acronyms wrong??

yes, blitz did an sbc and then the DSBC. I know the DSBC is a nice bit of kit which has been seen to control runaway boost on imports so I really need to find out if the new SBC-ID will work in the same way. After my failure to obtain a marketing budget to pay for my testing of the RL TC (!) perhaps I should try for a technial testing budget to pay for an SBC-ID!!

JB

Gavin - I believe the dual uses two valves to divert air from the wastegate, more air diverted = wastegate opens at higher pressure = more boost achievable. I think!

Alex - will fax pics over Monday from work, hope you have good grasp of Japanese! It enfuriates me seeing all that info & not being able to read a word :angry:

I now have the Blitz DSBC fitted to the Evo and

of course, the Apexi fitted to the supra.

The *BIG* advantage with the Apexi is that you

can set the solenoid duty *AT ANY REVS*,

and as Stu asks, this can be used to try and

increase boost on the first turbo as well as the second.

With the apexi you should be able to see up to 10psi

on the first turbo.

The Blitz BSBC is a far more simple controller, with just 1 solenoid

setting for each boost programme. For example, hi boost on the

Evo is a solenoid setting of 60% and it hits 1.2kg, setting 2 is

57% and it hits 1.1 and so on.

The new Blitz SDiC boost controller is much more like the Apexi,

loads of lovely graphs and even speed related boost control

when used in conjunction with the power meter id.

Personally, the only advantage I can see running the Apexi or

new Blitz SDiC is on really high powered cars without advanced

traction control, where you can adjust the boost curve to reduce

wheelspin or reduce boost a little on ultra high speed runs when

EGT's get worryingly high.

I love the Blitz DSBC in the evo because it is *SO* simple to use,

build quality is fantastic (the solenoid in the blitz is about 5 times

the size/weight of the apexi) and the unit is small and unobtrusive.

Gadget freaks go get the SDiC (£500+vat) and Power Meter (£200+v)

both are half din and communicate with each other; those who

just want to turn the boost up and drive the bloody car, buy the

DSBC!