The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which Induction Kit?

Steve Gee

Have HKS Super Drager but air box is standard, which sorta defeats the object. Need to get air in and out quick. Which induction kit is the best? I've seen some pretty ones and know that performance panel filters are available for the air-box. But which way do I go guys?

Alos, if I wanted to chip it, does anyone know if RGS Motorsport in Wellingborough are up to the job?

Any comments welcomed.

Cheers

Steve

If you ignore the problems of sucking hot air into the engine rather than ambient air.. Then Induction kits increase the induction sound of the engine and do help to freeup the air flow.

The HKS induction kit is very nice.

But its all down to taste!

(Edited by Phil Wall at 1:08 am on July 5, 2001)

there has been a lot of discussion around induction kits, for all the benefits gained through improved air flow you lose most of the gain through the air filter sucking in the hot air from the turbos. The stock airbox on the Supra is pretty good, Im still running a stock air box and can run into a 12s 1/4. There are basically 3 options, you can fit the airfilter and just accept that it will be sucking in hot air, you can build a custom airbox to fit the airfilter in which will then take the existing cold air air-feed, or you can talk to Ash on this BBS about having the air filter moved down into the front off-side air duct, but that will mean you will also need a front mount intercooler.

HKS do a nice airfilter, as do Blitz. I can supply the HKS one for £132 ex vat.

as for chipping the Supra, general concensus is dont do it, people like Superchips charge a flat rate for chipping turbo cars, and with the supra all they do is fit a fuel cut removal unit and a bleed valve. The Supra ECU is a sealed unit and cannot be chipped, you can pop in a piggyback unit like the Motec or FconV to change fueling etc. Your best bet would be to get one of the fuel cut removal units such as the one Pete Betts supplies (£60 or so) and then look at fitting either a boost controller or a bleed valve depending on how much boost you want to run.

RGS are pretty good, but they dont have a huge amount of experience with Supras. I can recommend Leon who is based in WatF*rd

, he does a lot of work on a lot of Supras, and is good value too.

JB

The stock airbox is sufficient for stock flow and takes ambient air from the front of the car.

Many of the aftermarket filters take hot air from under the bonnet; which is rather self-defeating, as there is approximately a 3.5% loss in air density for every 10 degC rise in temeperature. Every 1% loss in air density gives a corresponding 1% loss in power.

This power loss is due to the fact it is not so much the actual amount of air entering the engine that creates the power, it is the number of oxygen molecules per unit of volume. Which is why the very worst atmospheric conditions for a high-power turbo car, is when it is hot and humid.  

I tested my car with an HKS filter fitted. There was a distinct overall increase in the intake air temperature. But often I would see times were the air entering the engine was around 20degC above ambient.  

Subsequently, an air-filter modification has been developed that combines the free-flowing characteristics of the HKS mushroom filter with the added advantages of intaking relatively cooler ambient air.

This modification will shortly be released as a basic tuning package which will incorporate fitment of a front-mount intercooler; electric radiator fan, together with the cool-air filter mod which is coupled to the HKS mushroom filter.  

I fully understand where members are coming from when they say things like, "If you ignore the problems of hot air entering the engine....." etc.

But, to my way of thinking, the question should be not so much, "How can I increase flow?" the real question should be, "How can a get a useful increase in flow whilst still intaking air at ambient temperature?"

the HKS filter sounds the dogs bollox and it's worth fitting just for the sound alone. But again, fitted under the bonnet, the sound gets muffled somewhat. I always say if you like the sound of the HKS filter when it's fitted in the engine-bay, you'll be doing back-flips when you hear it outside!  

I've never heard of the tuning company you mention, but then again I'm not really into tuners. :biggrin:

Maybe if you ask again in the general discussion section someone would know of them.

Yours,

J

Running the HKS under the bonnet does cause noticeable loss of power in certain conditions.

When I have the combination of high ambient air temps and high under bonnet temps i.e. after a slow crawl in traffic and the road clears, the response I expect is not there. Once the car is moving and under bonnet temps are reduced it is not too bad.

On the track, this can be over come by quickly taking out the head light. The impact is very noticeable.

At  the moment I am prepared to put up with this minor inconvenience, until I can afF*rd

to put it right.

It sounds the dogs bollox especially combined with the Hiper:biggrin:.

Does the mod you are talking about involve the routing the mushroom to the stock IC location?

I think I will run a temperature sensor from my lap top to the inside of the mushroom and monitor intake temperatures over time in various traffic conditions.

Then use Ash's formula. That may change my mind ????

I may post results if they look interesting.

Thanks for all the help.

Does anyone have experience of a stock air-box with a performance panel filter?

What about turbo wrap and bonnet vents to reduce under bonnet temperatures. My TT import hasn't got a vent. Where can they be found?

Steve

A lot of people think the bonnet vent is just that - a vent in the bonnet, but in fact it funnels air into an under-bonnet metal air scoop that directs the air onto the turbo housing (I believe).  it direct sit somewhere useful anyway !    So to get maximum benefit, you need to get the bonnet scoop (a la UK spec like mine) and then also the funnel scoop to direct airflow to the place Toyota found most useful to cool.

cheers

Leon will fit you a bonnet vent.

Last time I was at his place I saw the one fitted to his Jap car. It was just a good as the standard UK fit.

I am thinking of having one fitted to increase air flow and cool things down under the bonnet.

I forgot to ask him if he fitted the scoop as well.

The UK vent lowers underbonnet temps a little. You can get a bit of crap coming onto your engine, but it's not too disconcerting.

The cars I fitted vents to have had strut braces which rules out the stock exhaust-manifold ducting.

Whether it would be worth fitting the stock air-channel I don't know.

Yours,

J

• 2 months later...

hi group

the uk bonet scoops look cool and break up the large bonnet space

is there anyother bonnet scoops to get more air in

is there a way you could get a flexy pipe like off a tumble dryer and feed it into the engine bay

call me crazy but just a thought

also the fast and the furious supra has a TRD lightweight bonnet with vents in

that has to be good to cool engine down

it is a mighty fine price too£1,500 +

Leon is based in a village called South Oxhey which is a few miles from Watford.

He works from home in his double-garage (think he had plans to build a bigger one or extend it) and is certainly one of the most knowledgeable guys in the country on Supras.     He has a very very powerful Supra himself (like genuinely over 600bhp) and does a lot of work for many people on this list.

Apart from being experienced, his labour rates are MUCH lower than a dealer.    approx £30 per hour i think.

His mobile is 07956 285219.