The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Caliper Painting

GavinL

Hi...

I have just found this site in the US that sells a few parts for the MKIV including some very nice replacement brake caliper logos.

Given that my calipers and the Supra logo's are looking a bit tatty can anyone advise me what paint is suitable for the job.

the site is http://94supra.dyndns.org/hardpipes/hardpipes/main.htm

thanks as always.....

I used calliper paint, designed for high temperature, brushed on dried in minutes, seems pretty good

http://www.indidist.co.uk/images/images/Darby4.jpg

But i believe someone mentioned you could use engine paint spray, which would give a smoother finish ready for transfer/stencil..

Is that a stock wheel that has been chromed on that website ?? - wonder how much that costs...

Dean..

Guest Supragirl

Have a look on Smartgroups "Martins and Emmas MKIV"...there are some pics of the calipers that I painted..it was quite easy to do and the paint has lasted very well..Halfords high temperature paint was used..

We are going to get some high temperature lacquer from Nielsens so that it will seal in the logo..

(Edited by Supragirl at 9:17 am on Sep. 14, 2001)

£20 for 4 ?!?!!?!?

surely you mean £200 for 4 ??

I got mine done at Pristine and they were over £300 all in, but they look literally like new wheels and are in fact FAR better looking than the stock finish.    highly recommended.     Dean Barratt has the same finish on his 17" wheels.

I have found that 2-pack paint works well. I've painted a number of calipers with this process and they still look good after time.

What I do is strip the old coating to the bare aluminium, apply a coat of acid-etch primer, followed by severl coats of 2-pack surfacer. Then flat with 1200 grit and apply the colour. The best way to attach logos IMO is to apply base and clear for the colour coat. That way the logo can be stuck to the basecoat and the clearcoat applied. The logo is then sealed which means it stays in pristine condition.

Yours,

J