The mkiv Supra Owners Club

de cat and boost controler

black cat

my wife bought me a GReddy PRofec B-Spec II Boost Controller for christmas and am gona get it fitted soon, guy from tune a car is doing it and was gona get him to put a mid de cat pipe on at the same time so it an be mapped (wtf is mapping the engine i have no idea :rlol: ):rtfm:

Q: is there much in the way of power in just doing the mid or do i need to do both. iam worryed of blowing some thing up.

tt steve

my wife bought me a GReddy PRofec B-Spec II Boost Controller for christmas and am gona get it fitted soon, guy from tune a car is doing it and was gona get him to put a mid de cat pipe on at the same time so it an be mapped (wtf is mapping the engine i have no idea :rlol: ):rtfm:

Q: is there much in the way of power in just doing the mid or do i need to do both. iam worryed of blowing some thing up.

tt steve

What is he going to map? I take it you have a standard ecu?

Steve me old mukka...

I'm not sure what you're embarking on here.

The following is as I understand it (and I may be wrong of course!)

A boost controller is only used to increase boost and cannot lower.

Standard turbos aren't going to last long running for 1.3bar or above (I'm sure someone will come along and say otherwise, I certainly wouldn't do it)

When you decat your upper boost level raises anyway and many people (like myself) have a restrictor ring to prevent going above 1.2bar for longivity. At this point you may hit fuel cut anyway - which will also need addressing and possibly have further mods such as fuel pump.

So...I'd question the need for your little unit unless you want to either have a fixed higher boost setting ALL the time...but then your car can only support a very limited increase?

It's an expensive toy you have there.. I'd get a refund and spend the cash on other supporting mods.

Steve this is what I would do:

1. Remove both cats (get 2 decat pipes to replaces each cat, then you can easily put the 2nd cat back on come MOT time.)

2. Fit a restrictor ring to limit boost to 0.9-1bar.

3. Fit a Fuel Cut Defender (this will allow you to boost over 1bar, without the ECU cutting all fuel.)

4. Fit your Boost Controller, set to 1.2bar max.

5. You may also need to fit cooler grade of plug if you get mis-fire at high boost.

6. Dyno car so you can get the fueling checked.

Dont all boost controllers support high and low boost settings then?

My old greddy does and had it set to 1bar low boost and 1.2bar high boost.

Hardly ever used high boost though!! :whistle:

Most have at least 2 boost setting options.

A boost controller can not lower the base boost level (ie the boost level without the boost controller fitted). With the cats removed the base boost level is liable to raise to 1.3+, the restrictor ring is fitted to bring this down to say 1.0bar and then the boost controller can be used to raise the boost to desired level.

Steve this is what I would do:

1. Remove both cats (get 2 decat pipes to replaces each cat, then you can easily put the 2nd cat back on come MOT time.)

2. Fit a restrictor ring to limit boost to 0.9-1bar.

3. Fit a Fuel Cut Defender (this will allow you to boost over 1bar, without the ECU cutting all fuel.)

4. Fit your Boost Controller, set to 1.2bar max.

5. You may also need to fit cooler grade of plug if you get mis-fire at high boost.

6. Dyno car so you can get the fueling checked.

This is exactly what I've done. I normally drive on 1 bar boost and when I feel like playing I put it on 1.2 bar. The main reason I do this is, no matter what power you're running you get used to it. Switching to higher boost every so often just makes it more enjoyable to drive. With my current 'Stock' 1 bar boost the turbos don't spool or come online as quick as 1.2 - so switching it to 1.2 I get more power, quicker spool and turbos come on full blast quicker!

I think you will definitely need colder spark plugs as your engine will be running hotter. You may want to look at the condition of your current intercooler and if it's knackered, upgrade it at some point. Most Jap owners replace their fuel pump with a better (Walbro) one too.

guys your all freaking me out. am i ok to get this fitted or is it gona trash my turbos or engine, i have a massive blitz intercooler so am confident that its gona handle things, as for the decat. do i have to do it or will the boost controler just do the job???? what is psi on stock. iam thinking about the mid cat, why both, i know better air flow but is it that much better.

pete you shattered my dreams then nic seamed to smooth things over, i respect all you guys and the idvice, is this gona cost mega to get done properly????

tt steve :drown: :drown:

Steve, you'll be amazed at the difference removing the cats and increasing the boost will make, certainly worth doing. The turbos will spool up faster, teh car will feel so much more responsive and you will get a LOT more power (roughly around 50hp extra). Raising the boost to 1.1-1.2bar is 'relatively' safe, but it *may* reduce the life of your turbos. Here is some more information that should help.

1. Have a word with Chris Wilson, he sells his own decat pipes (2 x pipes, 1 to replace each cat) and restrictor ring. I would get rid of both cats personally, then come MOT time just stick the 2nd cat back in (very easy job, if you have 2 separate decat pipes).

2. Tell Chris you have an aftermarket exhaust and say you want a restrictor ring to limit boost to around 0.9-1bar, it's not an exact science, but he should be able to make the hole in the restrictor ring to give you around this figure. The restrictor ring is just a plate with a hole in it that fits between the decat pipe and the exhaust, it is needed to add a slight restriction in the exhaust, so the base boost is limited to a safe level. Without this restriction the base boost would be way too high.

3. Buy a Fuel Cut Defender from Thor (they call theirs a VFCC see details here: http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/VFCC-00100006.asp). This is easy to install, just a case of splicing onto the correct wires, it comes with instalation instructions I believe. The stock ECU (engine computer) has a safety feature built in, which will cut all fuel to the engine if it senses boost over 1bar. The FCD (VFCC) simply fools the ECU, so it does not cut the fuel over 1bar. The thor FCD can be adjusted so that the fuel cut occurs at a slightly higher pressure, say 1.25bar.

4. Fit you boost controller, set it up to give you 1.1-1.2bar, you should have instructions with it that will tell you how to do this.

5. You will probably need a set of cooler grade of plugs to prevent mis-fire at higher boost, IK24 grade should be okay.

6. For peace of mind, I would dyno the car after the decat so that the air/fuel ratios can be checked. They *should* be okay but definitely worth getting them checked. Someone will be able to advise on best place to do this near you.

Hope that helps, anything you're not sure of just shout.

Nic has pretty much summed up and agreed with my ramblings in a much more concise manner! Thanks Nic :thumbs: , I think I scared Steve :)

Chris has a second decat pipe of his cheap at the mo.

He did both of mine (the NA and TT). Fitted a 1.2 restrictor ring to mine, but the advantage of fitting a smaller ring with the ability to increase boost WHEN you want it sounds great.