The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rust...not the usual

whitesupratt

Hello......another question with regards to rust! Iv decided after all your views on my last thread to keep my 93' supe and worry about getting a newer one wheh the time comes,

Anyhow, i am fully aware of the usual possible rust spots on a supra, (around the tailgate glass etc)...but what about the classic rust spots on any car...THE SILLS! and arches!

The problem is, on a supra you either have a factory plastic trim along the sill or an after market side skirt...THEREFORE where on any other car you can clearly see if you sills or underside are rusting from their closeness and abuse from the elements, you cant see this on a supra

1) how often do they rust here (like fords)

2) how can you hold it back for as long as poss

3)i spose get it on a ramp regularly is the best way to keep track?

Just trying to keep my supra mint, i dont earn alot and wana look after it!

(if this is classed as technical, feel free to move it)

car rear!.JPG

It's very easy to remove these parts for a good clean. I recommend at least once a year.

I was amazed at the crap mine collected. I even found a small plastic bag filled with what looked like cement in mine!

Perhaps give it some waxoil treatment before reassembly? I've not tried this.

Hot power wash after the salt is gone, then maybe a cavity wax seal. DO NOT, in my opinion, underseal a used car, you can never get the moisture out of the panel seams, and undersealing will just trap it in. The only way to underseal effectively is to steam clean then pay someone to have the car witll all closures open in a spray booth with the fans and heat on all night, then underseal immediately.