The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hi ime new and need to be swayed bk in to jap

D8MOA

hi all, bin a bmw man for a while and do love there quailty but obviously not much fun, (even though i have a quick 1 :whistle: ) i had a gt4 before my bm i have now, spent a shead load of $$ on it and sold it for peanuts!!:blahblah: well ne way i have always loved supras and i might have the chance to buy 1 soon in the new year, a 1994 uk turbo,few lil problems but nothing i cant fix, questions i wana no really is how reliable thay are on a day to day basis, and also petrol and stuff. i.e miles per tank and how much to fill up :Pling: and any other info that might push me into gettin it :ok:

Hi mate, Welcome to the board.

Supras are very reliable. I use my BPU supra everyday. Fuel economy is totally dependant on how you drive. If you take it easy/cruising you may get 25-28 miles per gallon. If you thrash it then as low as 16-18 miles per gallon, but asyou know this is applicable to any performance car. Definitely go for it. Find a decent one and you won't regret it. :)

Cheers,

Ro

whats bpu?? sorry if it sound stupid. well its a black 1994 manual turbo bout 80-90k on it,prob needs a clutch and he cant remove the crank pully to do the cambelt lol and a few other lil bits, dont you guys have problems with space and stereo in supras??!

Sorry mate, BPU is 'Basic performance upgrade'. See http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=38389

On UK spec you don't need the restrictor ring but you need to turn the boost up with a manual or electronic boost controller. On a Jap spec, boost goes up as soon as you decat.

Clutch is nothing special to do on a supra infact easier than some other cars like a skyline! The crank pulley needs a special tool. I think a heavy duty impact wrench as used on HGV's work too but not sure.

Obviously space is an issue! But you can fold down rear seats which help.

Many people have 2 X 12 or 10 inch subs so you can get more than a decent install in a supra. I have just one 10 inch sub and as the boot is not enclosed in a supra, it can make my ears hurt!

Ro

Where abouets in essex are you? BPU is basic performance upgrade. On a uk car its very simple, Full decat, Different exhaust, boost gauge and boost controller if insurance will let you.

Mine is an everyday car and costs me a fortune in mods, fuel, insurance and servicing but its worth every penny.

Were having an essex meet on jan 14th (check calender) Come and meet some of us and have all your questions answers.

Edit: too slow lol! Welcome BTW

BPU from stock (say 0.8 to 1.2 bar) is very roughly around 80-100 bhp extra on the flywheel. Not sure on UK spec but on jap spec the turbos spool quicker and slightly earlier in the rev range.

When I had my BPU done it did feel like a rocket had been strapped on.

What I like about the supra is the sequential turbos. First tubby kicks in at 2000 rpm and you think 'thats nice' then second turbo kicks in at 4000 rpm and you think 'fookin hell'!!

oh i am looking forward to it, allways been my dream car, only thing that scares me is it could be a money pit, and also practicality but think i can deal with that just to own a supra

Totally understandable re money pit. You can do the mods bit by bit. There are good traders on here and some bargains do comeup on 'for sale' section. We do tend to get decat pipes quite alot!

I always loved the supra and was my dream car, I just knew one day I had to get one.

Mate, go to that Essex meet and you'll get more of an idea and looking at a few supras before you buy one will give an indication of anything unusual such as funny noises or if something doesn't look right.

Best of luck mate.

Ro