The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shall I keep THIS supra?

whitesupratt

Ok...so, i had always, always wanted a supra and i finaly bought mine in october. Its a J spec manual TT, absoloutly stunning condition. BUT...its a 93'!

Iv kinda got this issue/obsession if you like about the fact its a '93 car! I can't get out of my mind as much as i love it and its imaculate thats, its a 12 year old car. its done 70k miles, so the bonnets been up and down 12years worth, the doors opened and shut 70k miles worth, the gears in and out of gears. the chassis/body is 12 years old, the shocks have delt with 12 years of bumps...You get the idea...It bothers me! in the great scheme of thing its an OLD car!

Here's the dilemma...NO matter what I want a Manual TT supe! :clap: i love 'em, iv always wanted one! I want to eventualy do the works on it, HKS conversion, Kit, carbon bonnet, Rims etc etc! Do go crazy on my 'Old' supe, or keep this one for a year or two whilst saving for a new supe and then sell up, add the saved money and buy a newer one?:shrug:

Opinions?

I've been in a similar dilemma since I bought my car 2 years ago! Back then a late model 6spd supra was well out of my price range (£20k+) so I went for a decent 93. I've since spent £6k or so making it 'nearly new', only have the suspension and flywheel to change and it'll be almost a new car mechanically. I've driven a few very late model cars (inc a mint 2002 one) and the only difference I noticed aside from suspension quality was the electric windows worked a bit better. There really wasn't any difference after stepping back into my old 93.

It really depends on your budget, if you have the spare cash to go for a late car with low mileage then certainly do it, but I don't think the driving experience will be much different to a well looked after older car.

Mine is a 93 UK spec and Im working on the basis that I will drive it until it falls apart (about 2 years away I think..) and then change up to a facelift as they will be dirt cheap by then. So hold on to it for a few years, save some extra money and then when the facelifts are dirt cheap you can mod it straight away.

Thats my plan anyway.

JB

Mine is a 93 UK spec and Im working on the basis that I will drive it until it falls apart (about 2 years away I think..) and then change up to a facelift as they will be dirt cheap by then. So hold on to it for a few years, save some extra money and then when the facelifts are dirt cheap you can mod it straight away.

Thats my plan anyway.

JB

My thinking as well....although I was thinking more along the lines of run the car until it dies then go for a rebuild....single turbo, new suspension components, brakes, engine parts etc etc

My thinking as well....although I was thinking more along the lines of run the car until it dies then go for a rebuild....single turbo, new suspension components, brakes, engine parts etc etc

yep, problem is by then everything on the car is 15 years old and age does take its toll on the car. Change to a newer car and you have enough time for it all to wear out again. Thats the way I see it anyway.

JB

yep, problem is by then everything on the car is 15 years old and age does take its toll on the car. Change to a newer car and you have enough time for it all to wear out again. Thats the way I see it anyway.

JB

Agreed.....the only problem you get then is the milage....and trying to find one with resonable miles on the clock

yeah getting a newer car doesn't mean it's better! An older 93 car that has been really well looked after can actually be better than a much later model that has been abused / neglected!

If you know the car and know it's faults or lack of and are happy with it, I'd be tempted to stick with it. Getting a new one = risk it will be worse!

Unless there was something fundamentally wrong, like you wanted an aerotop and it wasn't or something then who cares and as others have pointed out, you will be replacing bits over time anyway, some of it will be better than new!

ok, so the general opinion is get a grip and keep it, don't get me wrong, i love the supra I have, even tho it feel its 'old'! I spose the actual question is...

Do i go balls out on this supra with all the plans I have for it, with the risk that in a few years i do want to go for a newer one? Iv been speaking to a good mate, he says...'forget a newere one for now, or you'll never be happy with this one, you like the one you have at the mo, concerntrate on that one, spend what you want to spend, if later one you want a new one, cross that bridge then!'

AGREED?

If you spend money making it exactly what you want you probably won't want a newer one because yours will then be better anyway! what would you be wanting it for?

true you won't get your money back on mods, but that's always true

in a strange way, moding an older car is better. Newer ones can fetch high premiums but a true minter will be an unmolested car anyway...

I think you should keep it.

When i get the chance, mine is going in for a full strip (right down to the chassis) full paint removal (right down to the metal) any repair's rust or anything is going to be removed and if need be replaced, all the metal parts such as the subframe and wishbones etc are going to be sand blasted and repainted in high impact paint, the engine will go in for a full rebuild and have twin upgraded Turbos, stroker kit, high lift cams,etc basicly good for 600-700bhp, and then all put back together, it wont be a new car but it will be almost new.. just think when that is done it would cost the same as a new TT anyway .. but you dont loose the "relationship" with the car lol.

Perhaps im just blabbering

93 isnt old for a car.

mines a 93 and you wouldnt think it was.

your forgetting the type of car the supra is,. if it was a 12yr old Nova fair enough,

but the build quality is a different league entirely.,

your thinking 12-13 yr old car in standard car terms where the skin on the car is like rice paper and the engine components are cheap.

this isnt the case with a supra.

dont worry about its age and just enjoy it,when its time to change do ;)

Why not take it somewhere to have it given a complete once over and see what could be on its way out or needing an adjustment.

If there is nothing wrong with it keep it. At least you will know everything on the car. If there is a lot of work that will need doing to it, well that is another question.

:)