The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'For life' oils? That'll be the day....

JohnA

Almost all technology is becoming so cheap that it's cheaper to buy new than to repair. I used to work on a monitor repair line but now it's gone because the margin of average repair cost went above cost of new unit!!

It's now pretty much the same price for a new printer as it is for a replacement ink cartridge!!

Car's will go the same way I'm sure - they'll guarantee 99% of their cars won't require repair within 50k miles, but then should be replaced with a new one.

What I don't understsand is what has changed, because an oil's protective properties dramatically change over time/use in an engine. Surely the internal combustion engine has not been radically changed to illiminate oil changes. Sounds like a way to build in future sales. So in the future will we see, no oil cap and no drain plug and engines driven to destruction. I can see the oli companies taking to this too well. I think I would be drilling holes to get oil in and out.