The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Question! Would i Be Happy With An Auto?

Tricky-Ricky

Hi guys, back again for some advice, as some of you may have noticed, i was asking questions earlier this year, but unfortunately the deal fell through!

i am now considering a PX of my very moded Silvia S14 350BHP for a bog std auto TT, not used to autos, only driven one auto Supra briefly! i can remember asking before, but i need some reassurance:yes: do you think a hardened manual box man will be happy with the Supra auto box?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There'll be some days, normally for me about 1 in 10, that you'll really wish you had a manual, but for the other 9, you'll be glad you chose the auto ;)

The auto is a far more relaxing drive. It doesn't seem as fast as the manual, but put the 2 side by side and it may even be a bit quicker over the 1/4 mile.

The size of the Supra, and its power delivery, really suits an auto gearbox, but you'll have to drive some yourself, to see if *you* can live with it.

I enjoy driving my auto. However, just like Geoff above, there are times (maybe two or three times a month) that I wish I had a manual. For the rest of the time I don't miss it at all.

The hardest thing is finding something to do with your left hand. Holding on tight to the wheel is the best idea I've come up with!

If you test-drive an auto, remember to go FULL throttle and then some (it's got a thick button underneath the gas pedal, the 'kickdown' switch)

Also the torque-converter feeling takes some getting used to, at low revs you don't have the direct connection with the engine, it feels like a slipping clutch.

I never had (or wanted) an auto before I got the Supra, but I'm very happy with mine. It's worse than a manual in that you can't easily balance the car when going down the gears. Also the gear ratios are very long, which can be a nuisance in slower twisty bits when going between second and third.

But other than that, it's very good. You can keep it in a gear with no risk of it changing up or down, and it's way nicer than a manual for most journeys.

Guest chiefvinso

I've been in an auto and its nice, but its boring. Manual gets you involved - why toyota bothered with an auto I dont know IMO there are no pros to an auto.