The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steamin' & Advice

raymanuk

Got to work today and parked. Then noticed loads of steam coming out of the front........:scare:

Lifted up the lid and the rad has a 2 inch hair-line crack with all the coolant pissing out.....:nooo:

Basically the crack is directly infront of the top rad pipe facing away from the pipe and engine.

Will get pics up shortly, but is there a way I can seal this till I get a new one ordred and delivered?

Will Chavfruads have anything :shrug:?

Last thing I need right now is more outgoings :cry:

Ray

Don't try to fix it with Rad weld or anything else....it'll just clog up another part you don't want to treat...

Sorry but your best bet is to not use it. Phone Toyota ASAP and see when they can get you a rad....and get it towed home!

(Or phone a trader to see if they have a Fluidyne etc in stock)

Thanks for the input people :)

Will be phoning you shortly Paul :thumbs: cheers, was looking at your site for a new one but don't want to fork out 450 right now but may have to bite the bullit and order one but the CC is getting full from the christmas festivities :(

Will give you a ring fella.

Rad weld won't help unfortunately it is on the top bit where it is plastic. I Think I can seal it just to get me home.

See pic below.

top_front_plastic_rad.jpg

Thanks Alex, going to do that just to get me home. Will need to take it easy and keep and eye on my tempreture as well as carry boat loads of water and anti-freeze for the journey, luckily only 20 to 30 mins away from work.

Paul has sorted me out with a rad to get me through till after chrimbo. Thanks Paul your a legend :thumbs:

Ray

I tried Araldite when my rad cracked in exactly the same place. It didn't work though. When it got hot the Araldite went soft and the steam forced its way past.

Needs to be something that effectively melts and bonds the plastic together...but yeah I wouldn't expect it work too well. Anyone know of a "glue" that can stay hard over 100degC.

Had the same crack in the same place on my previous MkIV....

Believe me, the plastic that the rad top panel is made of may as well be teflon when it comes to any adhesive imaginable....araldite melted, superglue basically fell off etc etc...new rad is the only way

I had exactly the same problem. Tried everything to fix it for a temporary job, absolutely nothing worked! Save yourself some time and dont try to bodge it!

Had to order a new one from Toyota, when I picked it up the guy on the counter `laughingly` explained this is the second most expensive radiator you can buy from Toyota!

Cheers!!!

Word of caution, dont buy a Land Cruiser with a busted Rad !!! He He .......

Getting another one don't worry. I got some of this JB Weld and it has done the job.

It created a solid layer bond but as it is on the outside it will not hold for long. If you could put it on the inside it would easily fix the job no problem.

It was jsut to get me home and it has easily done the trick.