The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which BOV is this?

Guest BRG

I don't understand how its the wastegate, becuase it only sounds when he lets off the throttle. If it was the wastegate, wouldn't it just be a constant sound?

Edit: Does anyone have some sound clips of the HKS Racing 2?

The wastegate will dump to atmosphere when lifting off under boost. the sound you hear is the wastegate releasing the pressure. You do not hear wastegate operation when under boost (Well unless you have a screamer pipe but thats something different...)

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up.

This is a ride of a mkiv.de member. He has got a T88 and two SSQV.

Here is my HKS Type2 clip with stock boost

Your car sounds badass man. I knew the HKS type 2 sounded like a laughing sound. The vid of the other supra sounded similair so I got confused.

Thanks for the help everyone!

The wastegate will dump to atmosphere when lifting off under boost. the sound you hear is the wastegate releasing the pressure. You do not hear wastegate operation when under boost (Well unless you have a screamer pipe but thats something different...)

That's not right. The wastegate acts to dump excess exhaust gas when boost pressure reaches a certain level. It dumps it to either the exhaust after the turbo, or to atmosphere through a screamer pipe (which is just the name for the pipe taking the dumped exhaust gas out to atmosphere). Because some of the gas is diverted it stops the turbo producing more and more boost and holds it at the correct level.

When you back off the throttle the BOV releases the excess pressure. It triggers because of the pressure difference between the intake manifold after the throttle (which will be in vacuum because you've just closed the throttle) and before the throttle (which will be positive because the turbo is still spinning and producing boost).

If your BOV cannot flow enough air fast enough, or doesn't open fast enough you can get compressor surge. This is where you have too little air flowing through the turbo for the boost pressure. Bigger turbos suffer surge at higher air flows, so are more likely to suffer from this which is why you get it more with singles.

That's how I understand it anyway.

That's not right. The wastegate acts to dump excess exhaust gas when boost pressure reaches a certain level. It dumps it to either the exhaust after the turbo, or to atmosphere through a screamer pipe (which is just the name for the pipe taking the dumped exhaust gas out to atmosphere). Because some of the gas is diverted it stops the turbo producing more and more boost and holds it at the correct level.

When you back off the throttle the BOV releases the excess pressure. It triggers because of the pressure difference between the intake manifold after the throttle (which will be in vacuum because you've just closed the throttle) and before the throttle (which will be positive because the turbo is still spinning and producing boost).

If your BOV cannot flow enough air fast enough, or doesn't open fast enough you can get compressor surge. This is where you have too little air flowing through the turbo for the boost pressure. Bigger turbos suffer surge at higher air flows, so are more likely to suffer from this which is why you get it more with singles.

That's how I understand it anyway.

Thats what I thought too...