The mkiv Supra Owners Club

i want one

Guest stevieskydive

Guest stevieskydive

im currently an mr2 turbo owner but i need something a bit bigger,so logically i was looking at skylines and supras,

insurance has put me off the skyline,£2500 for a skyline gts rather than £700 for a supra tt.

so i thought i come here to get some advice.i was looking but i couldnt find a 'buyers guide' so any tips on what to look out for would be great,also what sort of price range do the tt's come in and any recomended dealers pref in the central band in scotland.

thanks for any help

stevie

Welcome to the board matey!

Are you looking for a particular flavour of Supra? Such as:

Jap Spec (import)?

UK Spec (bigger brakes, usually dyno'd at slightly more bhp figures)?

Manual?

Auto?

Aerotop?

Someone on here can direct you to a friendly link im sure...See if i can find one...

Guest stevieskydive

i want a manual tt tin top not too fussy if its uk or jap spec

pref with minor mods such as filter n exhaust but not fussy bout that either

just done a search,found loads of interesting stuff,

thanks for the resonse so far n hopefully i'll be a fully felged supra member soon n hang up my mr2 driving boots ;)

gonna find it hard to find a UK manual matey....especially with low milage....Alex on here had a nice one, think that was a UK model + Man, not sure though, he has sold it now though - little to late mate

Geeez you people don't pay attention do you!!! ;) :p

JDM Manuals, both of them ;)

Firstly, I'd suggest ringing up a trader(s) in Auto-trader and arranging a few test-drives of the Auto & Manual - regardless if your serious.

Then you'd be in a better position to decide what you want.

Secondly, you're far better off buying a car from a member here. You won't get some salesman try to bullshit you with the:

"Got 350 bhp, it's a V6, with 2 big turbo's .. :blahblah: :blahblah: " When infact all that :blahblah: you get from some salesman is load of poo.

PM Dangerous Brain. He has a Black Aerotop TT BPU for sale.

Guest stevieskydive

awrite there todd,hows life in the supra world?u not venture into the mr2oc anymore?

i'll need to get in my profile n change my details!im in the army n im getting poted back to the uk soon.

i was away looking at a supra tonite but unfortunatly it was away at the bodyshop.

but i saw an evo that i was tempted by!

but i'll keep looking,the supra is my first choice.

id rather get it from a dealer so i get a warranty with it,i got stiffed with a big bill on my mr2 coz i never got a warranty!

awrite there todd,hows life in the supra world?u not venture into the mr2oc anymore?

Yeah but just to wind folk up :blush:

Only traders I know off up our way is

http://www.mackaytrading.com/

http://www.caldermotor.co.uk/

Not sure about down glasgow but in the time I've been on here now seen enough to know that you would prob be better speaking to one of the traders on here.

id rather get it from a dealer so i get a warranty with it,i got stiffed with a big bill on my mr2 coz i never got a warranty!

To be honest mate ..aftermarket warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on. If I had one, I may as well - use it for a rizela paper! If your turbo's blow and you put a claim in ... the first thing they'll do is REJECTED ..

Believe me, if costs more than £100 they won't want to know. My old MR2's steering rack went .. cost £425. And they caused so much hassle I couldn't be arsed in the end.

When I presented them with the reciept ... fitted by my mate "Chris Clarke" (no relation ... just mates) ... they said ... Hmmmm "Same Name as yours ... what's going on there then ?"

They made such a song and dance ... I didn't bother in the end.

Aftermarket warranties are worth diddly squat imo. Same with auction reports. The auction report doesn't prove the car is mechanically sound (gearbox, clutch, suspension etc ) ... The inspectors only spend maybe 30 minutes on a car ... they don't have time to do a mechanical inspection etc.

I know alot of people put alot of stock in them .. but a 4.5 grade doesn't prove that the valve stems are ok, the gearbox isn't leaking, HG etc.

Expensive imo.

£12k ?

Full service history for an import too ? :ok: :whistle: .... Maybe it's possible, but I think unlikely. It's probably only got history since it was imported.

You'll get more for your money (mods wise) .. buying DB's Aerotop. And you'll know that he's also looked after it, regularly services/oil changes etc - with that car sold by that trader ... you've got practically little idea of how the car has been driven and maintained.

Guest stevieskydive

that is stunning,i really need to sell my 2 first before i start thinking about bidding for a new car.

its prob going to be feb/march before i can get rid of my 2 coz shes still in germany n im in the uk for most of jan and feb.:(

Agree with Clarkey, I got nearly £1k off the price of my car because I told him I didn't want a warranty, it needed a new battery, a couple of bulbs, wiper blade and full service but I think that's gonna cost a lot less than £1k!!!

It actually had knackered shocks that I found out about after about 10 months - you think they'd have changed them? Even if they had I bet they'd have tried thier hardest not to!!! It's just not worth the hassle - they're all only good will gestures from the dealer anyway there's usually no rule book they have to follow!

Having been on this forum for so long I'd much rather trust a regular member's car on here than some dealer. Plus if it's that worrying you can check all their posts to see what problems it's had in the past - service history stored right here on mkivsupra's server!! :D