The mkiv Supra Owners Club

EVO Jan 06 Magazine Fuel test inc Tesco 99

supRo

BP ultimate came tops, Followed by Tesco 99 then Optimax. They also used Sunoco 105 Octane race fuel for comparision.

Sorry for the crap pics (haven't got a scanner :()but I thought it'll give you guys an idea.

Not the full article but power and torque graphs for a Golf GTI turbo (petrol type key on second pic). They tested a new M5 (V10) althought the different fuels ranked exactly the same (torque graph attached), they peformed much more similar than the Golf.

Also, always try and use a busy petrol station!

Cheers,

Ro

DSC02676-1.JPG

DSC02677-1.JPG

DSC02678-1.JPG

DSC02680-1.JPG

DSC02678-2.JPG

It's a shame they didn't say how they did the test, i.e. a full drain of the fuel system and an ecu rset would have ben the order of the day, otherwise the nex tested fuel would be used with the self-learning map of the previous lot of fuel!

The driver comments are 'interesting', apparently one fuel gave a better sound?!

-Ian

so what is the out come of this, is it best to use bp stuff (not possible to get the tesco stuff round here) ??

Yup, BP Ultimate - same BHP as Tesco 99 but more Torque.

It's a shame they didn't say how they did the test, i.e. a full drain of the fuel system and an ecu rset would have ben the order of the day, otherwise the nex tested fuel would be used with the self-learning map of the previous lot of fuel!

The driver comments are 'interesting', apparently one fuel gave a better sound?!

-Ian

See the attached crappy pics on this post Ian

[Quote:

Originally Posted by tbourner

Why?

Less time for the fuel to be sat waiting to be bought in its tanks, petrol goes off over time....

Yup

Cheers,

Ro

DSC02674-1.JPG

DSC02676-2.JPG

DSC02677-2.JPG

DSC02678-3.JPG

Seems like there is nothing in it really. So whatever is easiest for you is the one to go for.

I think it has been mentioned on here that Ultimate did not allow anymore boost than Optimax. And a higher boost ceiling is what we are REALLY after. I could not care less if a normal Supra produced more power on normal fuel than C16. Which one is good for 2 bar? :D

I wouldn't put too much weight on this test, unfortunately.

The variances of external factors are too large for these results to be meaningful.

Race fuel produced almost identical torque curve as BP Ultimate? C'mon, that is n/a territory (despite the fancy ionisation circuitry)

On a turbo running high boost the difference in the torque curve is quite dramatic with race fuel, here they are practially overlapping.

...and don't get me started on bad batches from garage tanks in general, they vary to a degree that makes a mockery of such tests. I've seen big-time detonation from BPUltimate from my local garage, while a tankful at Gravesend was excellent. Totally pick of the draw, quality control is apalling.

PS

the article refers to the 'low grade' US 91 octane gasoline, oblivious to the fact that they use (RON+MON)/2. That makes it similar to our 95RON - I'd expect them to know this basic fact.

They picked a couple of weird cars to do it with though to give a good example.

Look at 5th Gear's test where they did do it all same day, using an Impreza (which TBH is more like the turbo engines we all have in a jap-esque way IYSWIM), and Optimax spanked BP Ultimate in the Scooby.......

Pays yer money takes yer choice, I for one will be sticking to Optimax and Tesco 99.