The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric seat motors

Steviekid

Got my car back from the garage last week (after four months!) to discover the seat only went backwards and forwards at the left hand side, so just swivelled then jammed. This wasn't too handy as it was as far back as it would go and I was hard pushed to reach far enough forward to get the clutch to the floor!:thumbdown Decided to take the seat out yesterday to investigate which was a complete bastard as you could barely get in to the rear bolts. Anyway, when I got it in bits I found the plastic toothed wheel in the motor unit that turns the shaft was completely eroded away and unfixable. Phoned toyota to get a price for the motor by itself.........................£240!!!! :faint: :eek:

Think I'll put up with using the socket set to move it into a decent position.

• 2 months later...

Nic, I may have the same problem. Fore-aft switch on driver's side seat just makes slight dunk/click noise but no movements. Could be the motor. May be pulling it this weekend to take a look while doing headlight refurbish. Please price the motor for me. Anybody have a diagram of what needs to be done to remove the driver's side seat (Jspec)?

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nic, you never got back to me with the price on that plastic cog assembly. Anybody got a PN?

JK - If you look at the front of the seat rail, you'll see a nut capped over a long barrel screw. The cog is attached to the seat while the motor rotates the long screw. As the screw rotates one way, the seat moves forward, and visa-versa. You can attach a socket and adjust the seat, but you run the risk of further damaging the cog or the motor. If the motor is already proper fooked, then who cares. I went ahead and took the 5 bolts out and manuevered the seat to check first. Turns out there's nothing wrong with the motor. Just the cog on one side is stripped.