The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo Engine question

GavinL

I understand that an engine running lean of fuel causes detonation, which is not good.

Can some tell me what happens if an turbo engine has plenty of fuel but begins to run short of air...does this cause any problems or does it just limit the output of the engine

I hope this makes sense....thanks

Running mega rich will wash the oil off the pistons, and accelerate engine wear.  So I've heard.  Reading between the lines, Gavin, that sounds like you think you may be running really rich?

Overfuelling shows up as black smoke out the exhaust.  And cash out the bank account :)

-Ian

I couldnt think of any drawbacks until Ian mentioned that. Yeah, overfuelling can borewash the engine, which basically means a full strip and rebuild to sort out.

BUT, I think to borewash an engine you have to be massively overfuelling and on a stock ECU I dont think that would be possible. Theres very little reason for a car to have insufficient air into it, especially with the air flow meters and ECU and stuff.

JB

You should be able to smell it too!

If you think your intake is blocked you can get some cleaner like the K&N filter recharger. Spray it on to that type of filter leave for 10 mins and rinse. Bingo 1 clean filter. Don't know if this is approprate for a foam filter like the HKS one...

Also check you spark plugs, and try some injector cleaner...but make sure its good reputable stuff not just a ton of sulphuric acid!

Don't want to sound picky, but running lean is not the "cause" of detonation. Accepting such is tantamount to infering that running rich is the solution. An engine running too rich will make less power and devour gasoline.

Yours,

J

Hi...

Thankfully I don't have a problem with my car.

I was just interested to know what would happen. I had assumed that the car would keep adding more fuel until the engine was saturated and stopped.

Ash... no problem with being picky,  bad info can travel fast on the Internet.

regards...................