The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ye Olde Glass Headlights

Paul

I know I am obsessed with this, but still trying to get UK spec headlights (glass). I tried MVP motorsports and received a mail from them stating;

' The Euro glass headlights that we supply are for left hand drive and the light refraction pattern will be different and we would not advise fitting to UK spec'.

I guess this means I will blind all oncoming traffic !

What annoys me is that  they are supposedly not available in the UK and if so, a bloody fortune, well how come the rest of Europe and even the States have a nice little supply, oh and at half the price.

OK, they are LH drive versions, but still glass!

Comments?????????

Paul

(Edited by Paul at 11:39 pm on Sep. 17, 2001)

I have a UK spec, glass already.

Just that they are chipped alot, and condensation in one. If it weren't for the chips then I would split them and re-furb.

The only other option is to get rid of the stone chips (no cracks).

Is there any sort of glue or 'glass filler' type stuff that will fill these? Tried to polish using cerium oxide, but too deep.

Also, wouldn't the fact that Euro lights point the wrong way, mean that I won't be able to see much (yeah, sod the oncoming traffic!)

Paul

Guest Martin F

You can try filling the glass with clear silicone sealer, seems to be all they use for those windscreen chip type things.

Not sure how noticeable this would be though.

Errr fitting euro spec headlights is a big NO, as you will fail the MOT.

:)

Guest Martin F

Errrrr think they would, headlamp alignment is one of the things they tend to check for.

Wouldn't believe it would you the state of some of the cars on the road!!!!!

Maybe you're right, the beam 6 foot to the right of their alignment gadget thing, might be a bit of a give away :) Oh, and the trail of destruction left on the opposite carraigeway, from blinded motorists!

Clear silicone? I didn't think silicone ever 'set' , stayed 'rubbery'.

I was thinking more of a glue that set clear and hard (bit like meself ;) ). Any ideas?

Paul

Paul

you can definitely get "windscreen repair kits" which consist of a syring like pump that forces clear goo into the chip / crack and apparently when it sets it's almost invisible.      I've seen these kits in Halfords.  

Obviously with a headlight it's less critical for it to be so invisible so i think it would work well.

Stu,

I've gone and got one of these today after someone at work suggested the same! SPOOKY.

Reading the pack, they seem to be one use only, the syringe draws air out of the hole, then you pump the 'glue' back in.

What I think I will try is to cut the top off and drip into the chips (with the lights off the car, horizontal). Bit bloody pricey for a tube of glue, about a tenner I think!.

Will do it in a dark room (ooh eh) as the stuff sets in natural daylight , ultraviolet I assume? then I'll put them outside to set.

Cheers anyway, for the tip.

Paul

yeah i heard that it essentially creates a vacuum in the chip and the glue therefore will get sucked right into even tiny cracks.      I think the vacuum thing is quite important to a good result.

Let us know what the result is.

I've actually got a stone-chip in my windscreen.   It's not that big and it's at the base of the screen so not in the line of sight or anything, but if this kit works well i may have a go at repairing the stone-chip in the screen.

Quote: from Paul on 6:05 pm on Sep. 18, 2001[br]I have a UK spec, glass already.

Just that they are chipped alot, and condensation in one. If it weren't for the chips then I would split them and re-furb.

The only other option is to get rid of the stone chips (no cracks).

Is there any sort of glue or 'glass filler' type stuff that will fill these? Tried to polish using cerium oxide, but too deep.

Also, wouldn't the fact that Euro lights point the wrong way, mean that I won't be able to see much (yeah, sod the oncoming traffic!)

Paul

Hello there.  After some warm rainy weather, I got condensation in one of my headlights.  After a bit of messing about, I found that they aren't 100% sealed units - you can remove the headlight bulb to have direct access to the inside.  Then stick a bag or two of silica gel in there, on a bit of wire/string (to get them back out again, teabag stylee), and viola - one demisted headlight in not much time at all.

-Ian

Same here!

Dried it out 2 or 3 times and had a couple of silica gel bags in place for about 5-6 weeks and it still 'steams' up. Got moss type greeny vegetation showing now, between the glass and the black seal/trim  round the edge of the lamp. Looks crap, so will have to split.

Either that or start a little greenhouse at the front of the car, complete with mini pond :)  

Paul

Just wait until the Max Power boys get hold of that idea - Morrette "Bathtub" light conversions with a five gallon capacity so you can fill them with rock 'ard fish like piranhas and stuff.

"Barrys spent £17,000 on this pukka marine aquarium in the headlights of this bangin' sub-aqua Clio 1.4 Diesel.  He's got Momo racing seaweed, and Deemon Tweeks sorted him out with the neons, all kept toasty by a wikkid Rockford Fosgate aquarium heater with 10 Farad stiffening capacitor to stop yer fish getting cold under extreme loading."