The mkiv Supra Owners Club

approx cost for spray & fit of new bumper?

wez_p

cheers guys - a local place who i've been recommended quoted me 'around' £250, so i guess i should be happy with that figure

it is the standard silver & it's the proper do-luck, not an ebay one

Thats very cheap - especially as silver is one of the most difficult colours to blend

Thats too cheap, no body shop in their right mind would do it for that price.

Do you have some examples of their work you can see? The Supra was a £40k car, a bad paint job or badly fitted bumper is going to stand out a mile on a car like this - as CJ already said Silver is a very difficult colour to paint, you can spot a bad colour match a mile away!

I agree that 250 is too cheap to expect a decent fit and paint job.

I'm not sure about the often quoted "It's a 40k car" thing though. What's that got to do with it? IIRC, In Japan new Supras cost less than 25k in 2002.

Silver is a tough colour to match though. See Paul Whiffin's GReddy Spoiler post to see what I mean.

well, the paintshop do Mercedes & BMW for a trader i know, cars that would cost a lot more than my lowly Supra!

Unless he's underestimated or it's a good price because i mentioned who had recommended him, i'm not sure, but i will be asking about the blending etc before anything goes ahead as if it looked like the Greddy spoiler on Pauls post i would definitely not be happy & if it is at all noticeable i'd reconsider havin the new bumper altogether

Were the hell do you guys get stuff done????

I just had my entire car resprayed in toyota silver with acrovan 2000 Clearcoat.

The guys stripped eveything and prepped the entire car... 1,200 cash.

If anyone is in the south west and needs some work done, pm me and ill let you know his details. He wont quote without seeing anything, but I just got a stock bumper redone in the same color and it was 160 Cash.

** Now dont get me wrong, this is not a crappy guy, he used to work for rolls royce spraying and is now retiring.

A few people from the forum have sued him and ALL have said how amazing his work is.

But be warned, dont ask him for a quick job, he is a perfectionist!!!

I can definately recommend Lucifers guy, did a top job on my car spraying the wing and repairing and spraying the door, i couldn't believe how good it looked when i got it back, and like Lucifer said, hes very cheap as well.

Yeah, LOL. He loved your car Joe.

I was going to keep him all to myself, but plans have changed so feel free!

A few people from the forum have sued him and ALL have said how amazing his work is.

lol, I hope you mean 'used'

Speaking of resprays and the color match on Paul w.'s car.

I purchased my body kit through Paul and used his paint guy for the installation and respray in Toyota Silver 176. You can see the difference in not only the color but the quality of paint as well. The paint on my kit looks nothing like the rest of my car. The resprayed bits do not have the metallic sparkle in it like the rest of my car and to top it off the paint on the front and rear bumper has started to form small bubbles in it. I am not sure if that was the same person who sprayed the Paul's car or not but mine is much the same as his. Total cost to me for such a job was £700 cash.

Before anyone says well why didn't you say something at the time. Well I did say to the paint guy that the match is off. He told me that was because the company that did my total respray (I had my car totally resprayed due to a small fender bender just a few months prior) got the color/quality wrong not him. Mind you this was before the small bubbles started to form. If that was the case then why is his work bubbling and the rest of my car not?

Now some would say 'why don't you take it back so it gets done proper'. Well I would but if someone cannot get it right the first time then I will be dammed if I will waste my time (160 mile round trip plus over a week without the car) to take a chance that they might get it right. I will take the hit on this one and when I am ready have either the kit sprayed again or a total respray (this time by someone like GVN).

live and learn. ;)

The paint on my kit looks nothing like the rest of my car. The resprayed bits do not have the metallic sparkle in it like the rest of my car and to top it off the paint on the front and rear bumper has started to form small bubbles in it. I am not sure if that was the same person who sprayed the Paul's car or not but mine is much the same as his. Total cost to me for such a job was £700 cash.

live and learn. ;)

Bloody Hell mate - that was bad news!! :cry: ...ask for your money back??

Hope no-one else had such a finish

Just for anyone that has a silver car

There are approx 6 (I think) variations in the silver colour - and obviously this guy did not think to get a colour match done...

Bubbles can be caused by poor prep and / or silicon deposits...

I spoke to Gerald at GVN today - they just have sooo the right attitude!!

:respekt: