The mkiv Supra Owners Club

May buy a supra but need some help!

Guest bonerp

Hi all,

New to supras so need some help please!

Looking for a late supra (ie 96 ish).....maybe a roof off jobbie (think these are import only).

Can you guys summarise problems, what to look out for, what goes wrong, what I can expect for insurance (34 Full NCD), is an import a lot more to insure than UK spec, MPG (realistically!), tyre wear etc?

Also considering a Mitsu 3000GT, RX8 and a FTO.

Many thanks

Paul

Hello and :welcome:

You are right in thinking that the aero top (roof off) is import only. As for problems, there are surprisingly few. Unlike the old MK111 that suffered with HG problems the MK1V doesnt have any inherent regular issues. In saying that, as with any performance car, if it has not been looked after and serviced regularly then of course you may get problems. My advice would be to buy from a member on here. At least that will ensure you will know that it was owned by an enthusiast.

Insurance is usually more for an Import than a UK model but the gap is closing all the time. Strangely the NA is normally more expensive to insure than a TT. MPG on a TT will be around 18 - 20 (much the same as an NA) and as for tyre wear, it can vary greatly dependiung on how you drive it.

If you are considering the others, drive the Supra last so as to avoid dissapointment when you go from that to the inferior cars.

You should fit in well here then :D

this is true:D :D :D :D :blush: :blush: :blush:

hello matey. I thought 95 was the last time aero tops were made.

as the guys have said the insurance gap is coming down all the time. AA told me ther was no difference about 2 months ago. dont know if she got it wrong.

go for tt is you can stretch too it.

jap imports (you pays ye money ye takes ye choise) most of us have been lucky.

tt steve