The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Info on the Supra for an MR2 owner?

Guest britpilotdave

Guest britpilotdave

hi all,

Would just like to introduce myself, My names Dave and

I'm venturing over from the MR2 owners club website because im between 2 minds for my next car...

The options are to either upgrade my current N/A MR2 GT-TBar to a twin entry turbo newer version, or to get a supra. So i was wondering if i could get some none biased views and more importantly info on both the N/A supra and the twin turbo version (Mark 4) (not too interested in the single turbo).

What is the standard package with the Supras as regards to air con, power steering 4WD etc etc?

I have read that the twin turbo is 326bhp as standard so i was wondering how many bhp the N/A supra is?

And finally i just went on the autotrader insurance search and was quoted £698 for a twin turbo for a 22 yr old 2 yrs NCB TPFT and that was with Bell insurance...surely this cant be right?! i am paying over a grand for my N/A MR2!!

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hi Dave. You must know Michael Canny.

What is the standard package with the Supras as regards to air con, power steering 4WD etc etc?

All MkIV Supras have A/C, & PAS. None have 4WD.

TTs have Traction Control, NAs don't

UK Spec Supras are all TTs and have a higher spec as standard. See our FAQ sub-section of 'Technical' for more details

I have read that the twin turbo is 326bhp as standard so i was wondering how many bhp the N/A supra is?
About 220bhp iirc

was quoted £698 for a twin turbo for a 22 yr old 2 yrs NCB TPFT and that was with Bell insurance...surely this cant be right?!
That'll be them quoting you for a MKIII Supra, happens all the time. They did it to me on a 1998 Supra FFS! :banghead:

The options are to either upgrade my current N/A MR2 GT-TBar to a twin entry turbo newer version, or to get a supra.

Hi Dave

Jake has covered most of your questions, but thats never been a reason for me not to stick my oar in ;)

The Supra and MR2 are 2 very different cars in the way that they drive and handle.

As you're coming from an N/A MR2, you'll notice a marked performance increase with a TT Supra. As for the MR2 Turbo, it doesn't feel a lot different to 60mph or so, but then the Supra gets going and blasts you into the distance.

To me, my MR2 (Rev2 turbo) always felt go kart like in its handling, the Supra is, and feels, a lot bigger. Once you get used to it, it's actualy pretty nimble, but it's just not as chuckable.

It took me a while to get used to the difference between the 2 cars.

I used to miss the "every journey's a race" feel I got with the MR2, but after having the Supra for a while I realised that it's a very deceptive car, it doesn't feel fast, it just is :)

If you're addicted to adrenalin fuelled journeys where you arrive at your destination twitching from the excitement then I'd say keep the MR2. If however you want relaxed speed, the ability to get where you're going and feel unstressed at the end, with the knowledge that, given a long enough road, you can beat most cars that you come up against, get a TT Supra.

After nearly 2 years ownership, I can honestly say I don't regret swapping, but I did miss the twitchy handling so I bought the Griffith as a second car (which handles like nothing else on earth :D )

If money was no object, I'd have the Supra over the MR2 every time, but if I fell on hard times and had to sell my present cars, I'd have no qualms about buying a MR2 turbo as a replacement.

All IMHO, of course :whistle:

Hi Dave,

I changed from a MkII MR2 N/A T-bar to a N/A Mkiv Supra and love it althought the car is much larger than the MR2 it still feels just as light on its feet and has far more grunt thanks to the more tourqe and extra 2 cylinders. I am 21 with 3 Years no claims (car is insured with only 2) I pay 850ish with Lancaster and the TT should be a bit cheaper from what I understand as the N/A was an import only. Give them a call they are fine with mods details are http://www.lancasterinsurance.co.uk.

Cheers Dave (yes another one!)