The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newby, need advice on this car and views on Bonsai car importers

Guest Mark1

Have been looking into getting a supra for about 4 months now and am now ready to buy. I know that I am after a sz aerotop and would like to get one which is as mechanically sound as possible. The main issues I having at the moment is whether to get one already imported or use a company to import one myself. I have read most of the guides on the forums in this website and from looking around realise that I would save about 2g's importing myself. The obvious problems with this are having to pay out all the money to someone in Japan before even seeing the car and also hoping that he is a honest business man that will actually get the car and ship it back. Rather than the money just dissapearing.

Now to the reason I'm posting this thread. Has anyone had any dealings with bonsaicars.com or heard anything about them? They have about 30 supras on their website every weekday and will represent you at auctions in Japan. They appear to be very professional and have a easy to use comprehensive website, but before I go ahead wanted to hear from the good people of mkiv. to see what your thoughts are?

Also this week just found the supra below locally. Looks great but not sure whether value for money. Any opinions?

1993 L Reg TOYOTA SUPRA AEROTOP 3.0i

Automatic, 92,000 miles, Metallic Black. Warranted Mileage, AC with Climate Control, ABS, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Colour coding - Body, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Electrically adjustable seats, Radio/Cassette, Spoiler, Computer, Metallic paintwork, Immaculate Condition. Comes Complete With: 12 Month Parts & Labour WARRANTY, HPi Check, TAX, MOT, Full Service, Professional Valet, and Pre Delivery Inspection. P/X Welcome. Finance Available. Pre-Order Service: You can order any vehicle that we don't have in stock. Just give us a call and we'll do the rest! WINTER SPECIAL, Was, 8595, Now, £7,735.

for photos use address below.

http://www.idealcarimports.co.uk/display.php?itemid=112

Thanks

Hi welcome to the forums, not sure whether you are aware of this site:- http://www.bimta.co.uk/default.asp

Its a basically mileage check etc for imports, theyrs quite a lot of clocking goes on with imports and a few unfortunate incidents thru-out the jap forums, be sure to check it out. Im in a similar position to yourself, looking to buy an import, personally im going to use GT Culture i think as id like to see the car before i hand over all the money!

Other good importer Newera, bit expensive tho,also jurgen on these forums has a good reputation for quality cars, not sure on Bonsai cars tho, im sure somone else on here will have experience of them!

Good luck!:ok:

Not heard anything myself about bonzai, however if you are worried about importing a car yourself, I know a lot of people on here have bought through Jurgen, and I've heard nothing but praise about him. If I hadn't bought direct from a member on here I think I would have used him.

the car you listed seems a little on the high price side to me, simply because of the mileage. with NA's dropping in price for whatever reason, the TT's are starting to drop to below 10K for a 96 model with low miles, so a 93 NA with fairly high mileage (even if it is an aerotop, should be cheaper than that IMHO)

I'm sure Dave will be along soon pointing out that he knows where an Aerotop will be for sale really soon :D

good luck,

Mike

the car you listed seems a little on the high price side to me, simply because of the mileage. with NA's dropping in price for whatever reason, the TT's are starting to drop to below 10K for a 96 model with low miles, so a 93 NA with fairly high mileage (even if it is an aerotop, should be cheaper than that IMHO)

Agreed does look a bit pricey even if it is an aerotop. :scare:

Just checked out Jurgens website. he's sold some great looking cars. Will be in touch. Thanks for the comments.

the aerotop he is selling at the mo I saw on either auto trader or ebay a few weeks back, but then it vanished. Not sure whether he bought it or if it was him selliing it. Will find out soon enough though.

Thought I should also mention that I was looking for a uk spec bonnet on the internet over the weekend. Found a site called 247 spares.co.uk. Did a search and they came up with quite a few results. Asked me to enter my contact details . Then today recieved a call from someone telling me he had a few in stock in all colours, but when asked to clarify whether it was the bonnet with a air vent on the top he became vague and started trying to get me to give him my card details over the phone and he would have it to me the next day. When I asked him where he was based and the name of his company. Again he avoided the questions and then just hung up. Sounded fishy because judging from this website there aren't that many uk version supras around and so very unlikely that this guy had them in a range of colours and didn't want to give away his details.

So all the hours i've spent swotting up on supras has been useful even if I haven't even got one yet.

Thought I should also mention that I was looking for a uk spec bonnet on the internet over the weekend. Found a site called 247 spares.co.uk. Did a search and they came up with quite a few results. Asked me to enter my contact details . Then today recieved a call from someone telling me he had a few in stock in all colours, but when asked to clarify whether it was the bonnet with a air vent on the top he became vague and started trying to get me to give him my card details over the phone and he would have it to me the next day. When I asked him where he was based and the name of his company. Again he avoided the questions and then just hung up. Sounded fishy because judging from this website there aren't that many uk version supras around and so very unlikely that this guy had them in a range of colours and didn't want to give away his details.

That's interesting. I've seen the 247spares.co.uk website before - it seems to be just another breakers yard mailer type thing. I wonder if one of the "breakers" is a scammer or something?

good luck with your car search anyway