The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU and INFO

Guest question_guy

Guest question_guy

hey guys, i dont own a supra but i have a couple of friends who are in love with them, i use to own a jz70 when i lived in japan. but thats niether here nor there. heres the heart of my thread

a friend claims that after putting an intake, exhaust downpipe included, and boost controller boosting 18psi basically like BPU that a jz80 will put down 430ish WHP. and im saying bullshit.

i know they put down about 320 to the crank or so stock. so prolly 280ish or so to the wheels, so im saying either prove me wrong or please give me some legit info that i can print out and prove his ass wrong. i dont see 150 hp coming out of 4 mods. bottom line.

so if im wrong then sorry tell me to shut up, but if im right help me out will ya :).

his info is coming from this website so far ...

http://www.suprastore.com/450hppackage.html

http://www.suprastore.com/bpuwhatdoesi.html

well that's not far from the truth really...

An exhaust on a j-spec (and an EBC on a uk spec) can see around 1.2 bar boost.

Some people on hear have over 400bhp at the wheels (hub dyno) from those mods.

You do need different spark plugs. Also people change the fuel pump as a precaution and do a few other things but BPU upgrades on a supra really is a fantastic BHP for the £ upgrade, you've got to love the 2JZ!

Guest question_guy

now see everyone i talk to is kinda saying the yea well it can be done etc etc but u wana do this and u wana do that. and basically im looking for some hard evidence and i guess a fact sheet

what all needs to be done to get 430 BWHP. fmic necassary? spark plugs necassary? (sp is horrible sorry)

my friend is claiming soley that intake, exuast, boosting 18lbs which would be about 1.2 bar yes........

I think the exact bhp varies from car to car and to squeeze the most you might want to remap it using a piggy back ecu but for basic BPU you need:

De-cat and exhaust

FCD

Intake not needed -> need a good condition or replacement panel filter

Better plugs -> i.e iridium ones etc

An EBC on a UK spec car

Optionally you need:

Uprated fuel pump

FPR

and of course everything else must be in good condition, SMIC included!

Look here http://www.suprastore.com/450hppackage.html EDIT oh sorry I see you have already seen this, ok will find other links for you...

Their kit is just the 1st items on the list, their calculated fly wheel bhp might be optermistic but you get the idea...

the first of these commercial links goes:

1. Downpipe 2. A'PEXi N1 Exhaust System 3. GReddy BCC 4. GReddy Profec B-Spec Electronic Boost Controller 5. 52mm Greddy Boost Gauge.

That's nearly 500hp at the crank (so they claim)

Well I don't think so:whistle:

Bit of teeny weeny optimistic there...:limp:

Maybe it will approach 450 (lame, 'crankshaft') horses with race fuel and boost set to hold 1.3 bar or so, but that's not a typical 'street' figure, rather an exceptional peak under special conditions.

Check out "dangerous brain" on here, he has 390ish rwhp on the hub dyno (measured at Thor) from the kind of mods we are talking about here. Ok it's a litle short of the 430whp and I do also think that 430whp is a litle optimistic TBH! but 400 maybe so - so your friend may be slightly over, but not a million miles away...

Guest question_guy
the first of these commercial links goes:

1. Downpipe 2. A'PEXi N1 Exhaust System 3. GReddy BCC 4. GReddy Profec B-Spec Electronic Boost Controller 5. 52mm Greddy Boost Gauge.

That's nearly 500hp at the crank (so they claim)

Well I don't think so:whistle:

Bit of teeny weeny optimistic there...:limp:

Maybe it will approach 450 (lame, 'crankshaft') horses with race fuel and boost set to hold 1.3 bar or so, but that's not a typical 'street' figure, rather an exceptional peak under special conditions.

my thoughts exactly! so in the end i could prolly agree with 390ish to the wheels after these things were down. so now whats the best way to prove my point to him? i need some documentation lol

Guest question_guy
Mine is running a fair few more mods than your mate has stated, and mine was only hitting 380-390 at the hubs, after being tuned.

The mods he is talking about will not make 430 at the wheels, maybe at the crank, but not at the wheels.

great maybe ill just print out this thread then since theres i guess no real documentation so to speak on how much each mod will give constistently and that sort of thing

great maybe ill just print out this thread then since theres i guess no real documentation so to speak on how much each mod will give constistently and that sort of thing

It varies a fair bit between different cars. Mine has the basic "BPU" spec with an IC and made 360rwhp (Which is supposedly 430 flywheel HP). I very much doubt he'd see 400+rwhp unless he has a very high spec stock turbo car or one with hybrids.