The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thread vanished......

Eric Kasir

Guest Martin F

I thought it was something to do with my PC or IE. Thankfully not.

Damn Porker drivers, if they're not in your way then they are always breaking things!!!!!!!!!

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/tung2.gif

(Edited by Martin F at 10:54 am on Sep. 23, 2001)

Paul, here was my reply anyway - I better get going before I break anything else!!

Paul,

I would say that the first modification you should look at is ditching both cats. Chris Wilsons are made with the J spec in mind, and are 2.5 inch in diameter to sepcifically prevent overboost. The added bonus with ditching the cats is a drop in EGT's. Spool up time for the turbos is significantly quicker as well. That was my main gripe with the car in stock form, once on full boost it was quick, but waiting for the turbos to spool seemed to take forever.

If you still have the stock exhaust, you may still find that boost does not increase to the expected 18psi or so, as the Toyota system is still very restrictive. I know that Pete Betts was boosting to 14psi or so with decat pipes and the standard exhaust. I think the boost controllers are not really necessary on a J spec with decat pipes and exhaust, you should be able to hit 18psi. The UK specs have difficulty in getting above 15psi with this configuration, and need either a boost controller or bleed valve.

FMIC?? Hmmmm..... I think everyone agrees that 1.2bar (perhaps slightly less) is the max you want to go to with the stock IC, so again, with just the decat and exhaust I think you wouldn't really need to go that route, unless you wish to give yourself extra insurance. With a FMIC you are going to introduce more turbo lag. Water injection personally I didn't like the sound of, as there were too many stories of failures with the system. That's only a personal opinion though.

As Gavin says, a boost gauge is essential. It was amazing how much the boost varied from day to day with my car. On the hot summer days, I could set up my DSBC to hit 1.1 bar, come the evening when it was cooler, I was hitting 1.3 on the same setting, so definitely an essential piece of kit.

Air intakes?? I think that falls into both your categories of a)looks nice and b)sounds nice! If I did it all over again, I would have kept the standard Toyota airbox, then when I got a FMIC fitted, have the Ash solution of putting a HKS unit in the front air intake where the stock IC sits.

Regards

Eric