The mkiv Supra Owners Club

255 tyres on 8.5" wide wheels?

stylieee

I would agree that the stock tyre width is only 245 but surely unless you're talking about the stock 16s (which were obviously designed with a 245 in mind) then you can't say that an 8.5j wheel isn't 'designed' to take anything larger......

i mean, for a certain width of wheel there can be a number of tyre widths that you can use as many members on here probably do. correct me if i'm wrong though....

I would agree that the stock tyre width is only 245 but surely unless you're talking about the stock 16s (which were obviously designed with a 245 in mind) then you can't say that an 8.5j wheel isn't 'designed' to take anything larger......

i mean, for a certain width of wheel there can be a number of tyre widths that you can use as many members on here probably do. correct me if i'm wrong though....

Stock 17's tyre width is 235 on 8.5 fronts and 255 on 9.5 rears

well, if the car's not going to handle any better i'll probably go with whichever size i can get at the best price.......probably the 245s.

i've just had a check on mytyres.co.uk and they've got 245/40R18 Eagle F1s for £120 a piece. anywhere cheaper than that d'you reckon?

Guest plymouthfury

the diference between 245 and 255 is 10mm across the tread pattern and not necesarily (cant spell ) at the beading where the tyre meets the rim.

the very worst will be a little more or less flex dependant on increasing or decreasing tyre diametre and that can be adjusted to a point by increasing or decreasing the tyre presure, i used to mess around like this when racing.

i used to run 205 on 8j rims as it made the tyre wall more ridged and reduced flex. hardest tyre i could find with the most rigid tyre wall possible for drifting.

if the wheel had a 245 fitted before then a 255 tyre will fit and be hardly noticable if at all.

you would notice it over a timed distance on a race track for example but not on the road.

chrsitine