The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A Speed and restrictions

supra-alex

no idea about the limiter, but it doesn't matter, you're not likely to see over 150mph unless you have modded it somewhat.

An FCD won't make any difference as the NA won't won't ever try to cut fuel (It has no turbos)

ok cheers oh and i have done 152mph on the M1 so they can do it ?

its a 96 sz-r facelift

lol really? how much over 150mph? as fast as a tt with over 100bhp more + loads more torque? no, not really. A standard N/A - if it's cracking 160 I'd be very impressed - real speed not speedo speed of course. Many 220 bhp cars struggle at around 150mph

It's a power issue and a gearing issue for sure, if you gave it longer legs the lack of power will show up more and you won't hit the red line anymore - it might just end up going slower not faster...

thought facelift sz-r's had 240hp ?

As far as I'm aware, the only differences between the sz and the sz-r is they put a limited slip diff in it, stripped out a load of weight and you may have a front lip spoiler, the engines were the same.

..but I may be wrong:shrug:

As far as I'm aware, the only differences between the sz and the sz-r is they put a limited slip diff in it, stripped out a load of weight and you may have a front lip spoiler, the engines were the same.

prob not your source more reliable than mine ?

You're pretty much correct, The engines are the same (Unless its a VVTI of course)

ok cheers oh and i have done 152mph on the M1 so they can do it ?

its a 96 sz-r facelift

On the speedo?

If so do you have stock or aftermarket wheels (they affect the reading). Also, you do know the speedo isn't very accurate at these speeds? 150mph on my speedo is 139 'real' mph, this is with stock wheels too.

VVTI NA's seem to be extremely rare. America certainly got them, but as for Jap Imports... not sure, but there is a chap on the board who says he's got one so I can believe that they are out there. Whatever, they certainly weren't standard from 97 onwards.

lol really? how much over 150mph? as fast as a tt with over 100bhp more + loads more torque? no, not really. A standard N/A - if it's cracking 160 I'd be very impressed - real speed not speedo speed of course. Many 220 bhp cars struggle at around 150mph

It's a power issue and a gearing issue for sure, if you gave it longer legs the lack of power will show up more and you won't hit the red line anymore - it might just end up going slower not faster...

I would have started to give your argument some credit if you hadn't brought in the Na/TT comparison. :yawn:

I never said the Na was as quick as a TT, I just said it could do better than 150 leps, I'm not about to sit down and work out a bunch of power to weight verse's wind resistance calcs just to work out exactly how quick the Na will go, I'm not that interested.

Next you'll be telling me how much faster you can change gear than an auto.....:rolleyes:

Hmmmm, I think i'm with Chilli on this one though, if the n/a is at max revs and is hitting 150 then fine it's gearing but if there's more revs to go then it is down to power, I'd bet that if you took 100bhp out of a stock tt it wouldn't hit over 150.

:Popcorn: awww come on, I simply compared it with the TT to set a realistic expectation for the N/A car regardless of it's gearing issues - at no point did I saw one was "better" than the other, don't be so defensive ;)

next you will be telling me the N/A just needs longer gears to go nearly as quick as the TT, even though the TT has nearly 50% more power! :blahblah:

Oh Envy Supra, seen that by chance? manual - 10.5 ish 1/4 mile time, full kerb weight with ice... :respekt: :stickpoke :nyah:

I'd also take you comments more seriously if you didn't just on the auto bandwagon ;) pot - kettle and all that

nuff said :zen:

Hmmmm, I think i'm with Chilli on this one though, if the n/a is at max revs and is hitting 150 then fine it's gearing but if there's more revs to go then it is down to power, I'd bet that if you took 100bhp out of a stock tt it wouldn't hit over 150.

I will clarify Tom, the Na revs out at about 155 IIRC

I believe if you change the gearing it will get to about 162-163. (which is quite a bit over 150)

Caveat: I only speak with experience with my car.

next you will be telling me the N/A just needs longer gears to go nearly as quick as the TT, even though the TT has nearly 50% more power! :blahblah:

I don't think I could be so retarded as to make that kind of statement LOL

...and I ain't getting into the gearchange argument again, that was just a :stickpoke

:D

I don't think I could be so retarded as to make that kind of statement LOL

it was comming across that you were at one stage, indicating that gearing was the only thing holding it back, then we hear: -

I will clarify Tom, the Na revs out at about 155 IIRC

I believe if you change the gearing it will get to about 162-163. (which is quite a bit over 150)

and 155 to a 'speculated' 162/163, ok 7 or 8 mph - worth something but it's all about the gearing just as you say ;) :p

...and I ain't getting into the gearchange argument again, that was just a :stickpoke

:D

well actions speak louder than speculation (Envy) I'm afraid. Actually considering the overall auto bias due to number of auto owners, the manual met with a very favourable response - owners who actually know what the are talking about like Matt H who has had both types commenting that it is quicker over 100 for starters...

lets not go their eh. Think all the points have been closed now - be happy that your N/A won't go much faster than 155 regardless of the gearing.

On the speedo?

If so do you have stock or aftermarket wheels (they affect the reading). Also, you do know the speedo isn't very accurate at these speeds? 150mph on my speedo is 139 'real' mph, this is with stock wheels too.

i have got stock 16" alloys and was racing my mate in his M3 we stayed side by side for a bit and he was defo doing 150mph as his has been checked.

and i was level with him, done it twice now, not again too scary....

no bullshit.