The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Water Injection

Brian Jackett

I have started this as a separate thread as suggested :

What about water injection to cool things.

Chris Wilson has recommended I fit this as I am doing track days in the car.

I have purchased the unit but have not fitted it yet. Next week I will be fitting it.

Anyone else got water injection

regards

B1YEE

-----

Brian

Guest Martin F

I have this system in our MKIV, but can't tell you much about it as it was already fitted when I bought the car.

Only advice i can really give is to try and use a seperate bottle to supply the fluid rather than the washer one. A lot of the windscreen washer additives i came across had an Ethanol based additive which is not reccomended by ERL.

Good Luck.

water injection is a good substitue for FMIC type cooling. It has some draw backs in that if the pump fails you might not know about it and still be running serious boost. Basically it should be used to increase the safety margin when running higher boost. If you fit it and leave the boost at a reasonable level then if for any reason it fails it wont be catastrophic, but if you fit it, whack the boost up to 20psi and run safely with it on and then it fails it means you are running 20psi on a car with stock cooling...which is a bit risky.

I will probably get WI fitted next year as an added safety margin.

JB

I'm not going to go above 1.4bar (fingeres crossed) and with England's lack of warm weather it shouldn't be a problem!!!

How do you tell it to activate - do you...

a)have a temp sensor which tells it to start working.

b)have a throttle sensor which detects how hard your pushing the car

c)have a boost sensor which realises your above say 1.1bar?

d)have a button on the dash which turns it on......

Guest Martin F

Alex

To answer some of your questions :-

1. The pump on mine is mounted just inside the front bumper on the  near side. i.e. near the washer bottle where it gets it's feed from.

2. The system detects when to inject water by means of a pressure switch. This is adjustable.

3. Extra bottle....use whatever takes your fancy. I went scouring round a scrap yard for the smallest bottle i could find as, as we all know there's not much space under the bonnet of the Supe.

Can't help on diameter of the piping as i haven't fitted this seperate bottle yet.

There is quite a lot of info on the ERL website, particularly concerning pump location. Check out the FAQ  http://www.aquamist.co.uk/

As Branners said the water injection is really a safety syetm/aid to running high boost. No doubt you can squeeze a little extra boost out of your car by having WI as it aids in cooling the charge and lowering the EGT's.

You can wire an LED up to the pump if you really want to see when the system is active, also you can fit a float switch in the bottle just in case water runs low at the most in opportune time.

Martin

Sorry Martin, I know I'm being thick here but where do you mount the pressure switch???

...looks like I'll have to remove my oversized battery and fit a more compact no. ........

Hmmm.... I've not got a FMIC right now so I'm begining to think this might be the most cost effective interim measure.

(Edited by Alex Holdroyd at 9:33 am on Sep. 18, 2001)

Guest Martin F

The pressure switch needs to be tee'd into anywhere that has manifold pressure within it. i.e. any pipe that comes away from the inlet manifold.

It's quite a small switch and i believe comes with it's own mounting bracket.

WI is a cheaper alternative to an FMIC, and then when you do fit an FMIC the charge air will be even cooler.

:)

You will not necessarily notice a performance issue but you should notice that performance is not lost on hot days and when you have been running the car hard for any length of time.

I have been doing some track days in mine and really noticed performance dropping off after 10 mins of racing.

Got a track day 29th October so will let you know if the WI made a difference.

p.s. Anyone with Water injection will probably require Methonal. I have put a posting in For Sale as I have just bought 25Ltrs and want to get rid of some - £1 per ltr

regards

B1YEE