The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wiseco pistons

GeordieSteve

Anyone heard of these before? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Supra-2JZGTE-3-0-Ltr-Wiseco-forged-pistons_W0QQitemZ8017748622QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was getting some serious det before I stripped the engine and I'm worried the pistons may be pitted. While I've got most of the engine out I'd like to make it a little stronger if I can. So what's peoples thoughts on these

The americans use them.

CR is 8.5:1 usually and at £600 for the set they don't look bad value to me. If your bores are fecked, then they are a good alternative to a new block/std pistons.

Don't know about the 'stronger' bit, I doubt that. I've had Wiseco pistons perforate under harsh conditions on turbo bikes.

I use Wisecos in all the Kawasaki race Engines I build. Quality is superb, They also produce an 'E-coat' piston with an anti-det surface on the crown. Although have found that if the motor is detting it might only buy you a few extra minutes of piston life! (important on a race engine)

Wiseco are huge in the bike world and make a lot of kits for a lot of bikes; I can't attest to their car pistons, but I have run Wiseco in several bikes and they take huge punishment. Bear in mind that bikes run higher compression ratios (than turbo engines) and rev a lot higher, although to be fair, they are not subjrect to the same loadings as a car places on engines.

As for rods, I'm not convinced that they need replacing. I have a few mechanic mates who race cars, and they all say that they have never had a standard rod snap or give under pressure (across various cars). They have had the rod bolts go (I would reccommend APP), and other factors, such as oil starvation cause big and little end problems, but on the whole the rods bear up very well and the Supras rods aren't exactly small.

Granted I have never done stress testing on stock rods and my 'evidence' is annicdotal, but I would be curious to hear if someone on here has had a rod break on them that was not caused by some external factor?