The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alarm recommendation pls - thieving b******s

nickyboy

Hi all, have tried to search for this but too many threads come up.

My bro picked up a BMW330 on the weekend and just 4 days later has had the bumpers, skirts and a lot of engine parts stolen overnight.

Sometimes you've gotta wonder.

Anyway, he obviously wants to do away with the existing alarm and go for something better. What would people recommend? This is the 3rd time he has had trouble in his area so it seems worth it.

I had a relay to the horn and pager system on an alarm as extras but wondering what models to go for?

Nick

I once saw a Supra on Queensway which had blue flashing lights on the dash linked up to the alarm - don't know if this is a particular model or an add-on. Anyway, it was a fast and furious one so I went over it for a closer look and it started to signal unhappiness to me which kept me from going near it! Presumably that's just the proximity sensors. Always runs the risk that kids hang around setting it off though.....

I just can't believe that people actually steal like this. Total cost of repairs/replacements is £5k.

So the Toad sounds popular. What happens when the proximity sensors are alerted? presumably it beeps several times and if you don't move the alarm goes off?

I think I'll get him to go for a Toad then - the Clifford ones are apparently much more prone to false alarms.

with the toad you can add a "pager" module IIRC.

Yes, lack of false alarms is a real bonus for me. I've had other top end alarms and experienced friends top of the range clifford alarms and found they always seem to need fiddling with because they tend to false alarm all the time. Once you and your neighbours are fed up with it going off all the time everyone starts ignoring it you might as well take it off...

Hi all, have tried to search for this but too many threads come up.

My bro picked up a BMW330 on the weekend and just 4 days later has had the bumpers, skirts and a lot of engine parts stolen overnight.

Sometimes you've gotta wonder.

Anyway, he obviously wants to do away with the existing alarm and go for something better. What would people recommend? This is the 3rd time he has had trouble in his area so it seems worth it.

I had a relay to the horn and pager system on an alarm as extras but wondering what models to go for?

Nick

Bloomin heck where does he live?!? poor sod

I once saw a Supra on Queensway which had blue flashing lights on the dash linked up to the alarm - don't know if this is a particular model or an add-on. Anyway, it was a fast and furious one so I went over it for a closer look and it started to signal unhappiness to me which kept me from going near it! Presumably that's just the proximity sensors. Always runs the risk that kids hang around setting it off though.....

I've got a Clifford 650 on my supra which has the blue flashing light and the external proximity sensors that tells people when they're too close. You can adjust the sensors too. When I first bought mine it was set to high. You could watch people walk past the front room window and a few seconds later you'd hear the Supra shouting at them to naff off. Good fun!

As I was told by the company representative who fitted my alarm and immobiliser system, "if they want it they will take it, no matter what you have fitted".

I fear he may be right.

The Americans have a great system that allows you to lock the burglar in to the car and puts several thousand volts through the seat, thus immobilising the would be thief.

I like the sound of that one, unfortunately it would not be allowed over here because we have to look after the thief's safety whilst he steals our possessions!! - please don't get me started....

near Camden. Just spoke to him and they didn't actually break any windows but the garage said they have opened the bonnet from underneath and disconnected the alarm/battery etc.

Police looked for fingerprints etc but unsurprisingly there's none.

Always wondered why these Millionaires with posh flats in Camden drive cheap cars and wear rags!

I used to work in Camden (during the day) and would have to park on a meter..I decieded to get a lift in with a friend in the end! I was scared to walk down the high street to get me lunch, always involved stepping over human trash and used needles!

The Evening Standard branded it as the most desirable place to live in the London area once (providing you dont have a nice car, you dont wear expensive items of clothing or jewellery, and you are a heroin addict!)

Tell him to move!

:drown: :help:

Edit: real sorry to hear about his car...hope he gets it sorted ok and new alarm! (btw) I thought all BMW alarms were already fitted with motion sensors, if they can work their way round the BMW alarm i doubt a Toad one is going to be 'that' much better def needs to move (my 2p)

Always wondered why these Millionaires with posh flats in Camden drive cheap cars and wear rags!..

why?

I understand that some drug-dealers, con-artists and nouveau-riches would want to be flash, but really rich people wouldn't want any of it.

If you look rich then you attract all the scum. Who wants to be targeted, followed, abducted?

Flash cars, houses and clothes are for those who can't really afford them, so they try to create the impression that they've got more wealth than they really do.

If you have ever known 'old money' people you'll know what I mean ;)

Toad sounds good and I checked and you can get a pager add on (500m range).

But the accessory loop on the Clifford sounds pretty handy. Esp as the same people could easily rock up and do it again.

PS Don't tell me - old money people also don't go abroad for holidays - I already guessed.:rolleyes:

don't nearly all alarms have accessory loops? I remember some cheap bodgy alarm I bought (for like £30) for my first car had that at least, you could use it to protect as many things as you liked, using loops and break switches, I'd be fairly sure you get the equivalent on any decent modern alarm like the toad for example.

don't nearly all alarms have accessory loops?

Don't know but I'll find out. Cheers for that.

I suppose the danger with all of these is that someone who knows what they're doing can disconnect it. They seemed to disconnect the factory alarm without too much trouble. Maybe a padlock on the bonnet is the way forward.