The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Those Pesky Tailgate Gas Struts!!!!

Guest Snappercrane

Guest Snappercrane

Hi folks! new to this game so Hello everyone!

Had my sup for about 9 months now and lllluuuuuuurrrrrrveee it...however everytime i go to get something out of the boot the damn thing drops ...the first time was painful...now I am wise!!! I just went to Toyota and they quoted me £78+VAT for each strut!! does anyone know somewhere cheaper or can they be reconed???

Cheers! And i have a lovely pic of my sup but im b#ggered if I can find out how to put it up...help!!

Guest Snappercrane

the bit attached to the tailgate looks easy enough to undo but do i have to remove the trim inside to get the retaining bolts on the bodywork off???

Guest Snappercrane

ouch!! is there an order too removal like starting at the covers over the rear shocks then the side panels then up etc etc?? had them off before so that isnt a bother.....or is there a special knack to it?

Guest gzaerojon
the bit attached to the tailgate looks easy enough to undo but do i have to remove the trim inside to get the retaining bolts on the bodywork off???

i did mine in about 15 mins, i just very carefully udone the plastic and prised it forward just enough to get a socket in there

Guest gzaerojon

the only anoying bit was supporting the tail gate at the right height, need 2 people really... i got one spare but i bet its the wrong side that goes next time.. it's the law of the sod:(

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Just about to do this job and got the mounts off without drama using the wedge technique mentioned above and 10mm pivot ratchet wrench.

I wondered if any members with experience of this job have top tips for sealing the lower mounts against water ingress?? There were the remains of what looks like a fibre washer. I was thinking about using sealant between the plate and bodyshell.. what do you think?