The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jap to UK spec Brake conversion thoughts

supRo

Hi,

Here are my thoughts having done this mod.

I had Jap spec brakes before, EBC Discs and Redstuff pads with Goodridge braided hoses. I think the EBC discs and redstuff is OK but wear out far too quick. Anyway, I have changed it to UK spec with stock discs, CW fast pads all round, new goodridge hoses and Motul 5.1 fluid.

Now the UK's are obviously better but not as great as people make it out to be on this forum IMO!! Main difference is you don't get brake fade.

It's worth doing if you go BPU> or delimt the speed restrictor.

My mate with a UK spec car drove mines and thought the above Jap brakes were good! Lol!

I think the goodridge hoses must make a good difference on the Jap spec?

So my personal advice is go for UK brakes if you are BPU or like doing high speeds! If you have Jap spec brakes maybe try the braided hoses?

So just to sum up, the UK brakes are better but not as great as I thought it would be after doing all the research. All in my opinion, not trying to have a dig at anyone! Discuss!

Ro

I can only think that you arn't feeling that much of a difference because your j-specs were already upgraded before changing to UK's

I had Jap spec brakes before, EBC Discs and Redstuff pads with Goodridge braided hoses.

I went from standard j-spec to standard UK spec, and trust me, there was a big difference.

Editted to say I also added the braided lines when I upgraded which I didn't have before either.

I was also disappointed after fitting my UK spec front brakes. (this was ages ago). I was expecting some huge improvement after reading folk's comments on here but they weren't really much better in normal day-to-day use.

They are loads better for trackdays or heavy road use though. My JSpec brakes were almost on fire after three laps of Bruntingthorpe, loads of smoke coming off them! UKs seem almost fade proof, JSpecs certainly are not.

They also look a lot better :cool: