The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supe sudden depreciation? Why?

Parksy

I was looking into buying a Supra for about a year or so. Prices seem to be holding quite nicely.

A lot of the Supes out there are about 10-12 year old so I though they would have pretty much depreciated as much as they could, all be it I would expect small depreciation as time goes on.

However since I bought my Supe prices appear to have crashed?

Paid 6k for my 93 J-spec N/a with 52k about 2-3 months ago, which appeared to be the going rate both on here and on Autotrader etc.

Just wondering why there is a sudden slump in the market? Is it the old 'summer car' winter price plummet that occurs every year and then prices drift back up or am I missing something?

To be honest I'm not too fussed if the car halves in value, I've wanted one for years and plan to keep it for a long time too... probably to the point it will be worth next to nothing. I bought it as I love the look etc of the car, not because I thought it would hold value (lets face it what car does!!)

I did think though that because there so old that depreciation would be slowing? Not taking the sudden drop it appears to have over the last few weeks?

Just wondering what everyone thinks is happening with the market to cause this? Loads of imports? Market in general?

I'd say it's a combination of you paying a little over the odds for yours, bad time of year, lots of them around, people dropping prices just to sell quickly and a very small part petrol price increase over the last year.

You're not selling though are you?

Just imagine buying a nice new Porsche or BMW and loosing 5k or more by simply driving it on the first day!

.. but the last two have always applied? (and the first to a degree)

OK to add fire to the mix - most level headed people consider paying good money for 10-12 year old cars ludacris! (I dont subscribe to this theory btw)

To put this into context, my mate who's buying a GT4 has been called "a raving loon" for paying 5 grand for a 1995 high performance car by other mates who on the whole are sensible level headed people.

People see the year and think "how much?!!" :rlol: :woot:

You're not selling though are you?

110% no :) have waited since I was 16 or something to be in a situation to buy one and be able to properly service and run it.

I'm happy in the fact that mine is really genuine clean motor. Will be looked after properly and cared for.

As mentioned in other threads though I'd hate to see them become a chav chariot... I think this would be the only thing that would make me consider selling it.

The only saving factor if they did become a affordable option for them is you know they aren't going to be looked after properly and therefor be a very poor example of a Supe.

The running costs (if serviced etc properly) is quite hefty compared to a lot of cars I have owned.

The drop seems to have just been very sudden from what I've seen?

There are lots of reasons, most of them have been said already. But what Hadyn said is very important, the cars are getting older, the parts to repair them are still very expensive and that's a worry for a lot of people. The majority of people will not pay £6K for a 13 year old Supra when now days you can get a brand new 55 plate, with 3 years warranty/free serving etc Renault Clio on 0% finance for example. I don't subscribe to this theory either but many do!

There do seem to be a large number of people selling though which is making things worse.

Guest speedstar

could be something to do with the anticipated new Supra due out in the coing months. perhaps supra owners have started selling up to afford the new £50k beast!

yeah it's surely vastly better than any shopping car, even if you can get them on interest free credit!!!

Lets face it, the supe seemed to have a bit of a boom, now it seems to have hit a bit of a bust. Too many cars around (not all good though no doubt), the market is flooded, not enough buyers around at the moment.

Longer term I could seriously see the supe going back up in value, not down, especially well cared for TTs. These cars are pretty special, a legend in it's own lifetime - they already are classics and no more will be made of course... So, unless you are currently trying to sell, I wouldn't worry about it. At the end of the day they will depreciate a lot less than many other makes anyway :)

could be something to do with the anticipated new Supra due out in the coing months. perhaps supra owners have started selling up to afford the new £50k beast!

I don't think that a £50k car is going to affect the prices of a less than £10k car.

It's a completely different market.

Sure, in an ideal world, it would be nice to get £15k for my Supra, all I'd need then is the other £35k and I could get the new one :rlol:

And I've heard £60k anyway, not that it really makes any odds :D