The mkiv Supra Owners Club

headlight bulb replacement?

Lewis

Need to replace my headlight bulbs as the current illumination at night is likened to holding a fag lighter out of the window to light the way.

I'd be interested to hear any experience with regard to good illumination, any recommendations on type/partnumber/supplier?

Cheers

I've just replaced my bulbs with Philips blue vision x4 (headlight & main beam) bought mine from Envy HB3.

I had these bulbs in my uk spec lights too, really bright and with a hint of blue.

I rekon their the best on the market , the best lilumination apart from HID's.:p

Hope this helps

Lewis, if you want the best (although not the cheapest) night time illumination, then it has to be a good quality set of HID's.

There are a lot of members on here using the HID kit I supply and the feedback seems to be very positive, Terminator did a post about them also, see thread [thread=30910]HERE[/thread]. I'm sure there are other members who can also give you an independant opnion of them.

I tried bulbs supplied by our parent company, Ring Automotive. They are called Xenon Plus, cost me about a tenner and slotted straight in with no work needed. Made a world of difference.

Can you supply at any discounted rate, or any further info on ordering etc?

Have you compared them to the phillips?

thanks chaps

Philips Vision Plus and the Osram Silverstars get my vote, not as 'pretty' as the Blue Vision but they perform slightly better.

I have Vision Plus in my dipped and fogs, when used together the light is excellent. I also found the standard alignment to be a little on the low side, it benefits from a slight tweek upwards.

I'm fitting HIDs soon so will probably swap to Blue Vision for aesthetic reasons, I'm just trying to find a pure white 100w bulb for full beam use.

http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk might be of interest.

I've used blue vision and vision plus. Vision plus aren't bad at all, have them in my Pug at the mo and had them in my Scoob before that! Powerbulbs also do their own brand 50% brighter which I've just put in my 200SX and they were buy 1 set, get 1 free plus the free blue vision sidelight bulbs. They are from what I can tell, pretty similar to the vision plus. I will say though that while the PIAA are expensive, they were by far the best out of them all.......

I will say though that while the PIAA are expensive, they were by far the best out of them all.......

'Best' in what way? Do they just look brighter or is there an actual improvement when driving?

PIAA always seem to do badly in group tests for some reason, there are also a lot of fakes around apparently.

How do I pick the sizes for the following?:

Sidelights:

Dipped Beam:

Main Beam:

Fogs:

I presume the new car is J-Spec?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=569293&postcount=8

Might be of use, I think it's H3 for the fogs and 501's for the sidelights like the UK?

Loads of threads on bulbs and the mods you have to do to get UK bulbs into J-Spec cars, I just can't be arsed to look for them :)

'Best' in what way? Do they just look brighter or is there an actual improvement when driving?

Best in that they were brighter and I could see more with them than any of the others.......

As I said though, came over in my car, official PIAA branded bulbs, I wouldn't lash out on the cost myself, but just stating my opinion of them in comparison......