The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting metal bezels?

Scoboblio

I've got a set of miami-gt's metal bezel surrounds to fit..... the web site recommends heating them in water before bending them to fit the curvature of the dash. The problem is my usual adventure with such a task involves: Try, try harder, try even harder, then break it.

I'm looking for any tips from people who've fitted them, I know it's not a large task, but any advice is welcome :)

I did a set of these, I found the best way is to apply very light pressure with the ring overhanging the edge of a kitchen worktop.

Place a cloth down first to prevent marking the ali and let the bezel overhang slighty, press down gently then move out a bit more and repeat.

Go easy, it's easier to bend it more, you don't want to over do it or worse still put a kink in it!

I took ages, lining them back up with the dash part (removed so I could get the shape right).

Not heard about the hot water trick, I suppose it may help?

Paul

How about.....block of wood slightly larger than the bezel and say four inches thick..cut said wood in half, but cut in a curved line slightly more bend than reqd....place bezel tween the two bits of wood and squish in a vice untill desired curve was achieved...nice even curvature that way, no possibility of kinking...you could also correct slight over bend by reversing said blocks so bezel is tween two flat faces and compress to flatten this time

Edited becasue I care....dont just cut the wood block and have done, or you may press the tooth marks in the wood into the alloy.. take some time to smooth the cut faces or put something hard like formica or hard plastic between the bezel and the wood

Ewen, good idea but from what I remember they are compound curves so it would take you longer to make a forming tool from wood than to tweek it by eye.

On a bigger run or when they are made it would be a good idea to get the shape somewhere near but on individual sets not worth it imo.

Paul