Replacement airbag steering wheels

Ceptik

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only after market airbag steering wheels available for the Supra are the TRD ones. They are made from very good quality leather and look really good fitted.

I've sourced a few of these for members now, as I can supply at a very good price from here. Available in Black/Black, Blue/Black and Red/Black

CIMG0003_1.jpg

CIMG0007.jpg

TRDsteeringWheel-1.jpg

TRD Steering Wheel.jpg

Guest KARacing

I got this message from TRD:

"TRD 3-spoke leather wrapped steering wheel,w/SRS air bag, colors available ** OFF ROAD or SHOW CAR use ONLY, air bag deployment will not occur on impact, not suitable for street**"

TRD one does look nice but if you want safety, then it is not your choice. Experience from Hong Kong Supra owner: He is one of my HK supra friends who had a trd steering wheel and he got an accident few weeks ago. The airbag really DID NOT work on impact, fortunately, he was wearing seatbelt, it saved his life, after I knew his happen, I changed my TRD one back to the stock one right away, also your insurance company might not pay for your claim if they knew you are using aftermarket wheel during the accident. Play for your own risk

"TRD 3-spoke leather wrapped steering wheel,w/SRS air bag, colors available ** OFF ROAD or SHOW CAR use ONLY, air bag deployment will not occur on impact, not suitable for street**"

TRD one does look nice but if you want safety, then it is not your choice. Experience from Hong Kong Supra owner: He is one of my HK supra friends who had a trd steering wheel and he got an accident few weeks ago. The airbag really DID NOT work on impact, fortunately, he was wearing seatbelt, it saved his life, after I knew his happen, I changed my TRD one back to the stock one right away, also your insurance company might not pay for your claim if they knew you are using aftermarket wheel during the accident. Play for your own risk

Thats shocking! I dont see the point in a company going to the expense to make a wheel that houses an airbag when it wont work anyway. Weird!

OK mate, I'll give you £20 plus postage for your old TRD steering wheel then:rolleyes:

PM me!

Paul

I've got a year old MK3 MR2 steering wheel sat at home, airbag as standard (and with it) and a much more modern look, similar to the TRD in some ways.

http://www.cgauto.com/images/autoreview/lrg/04812211990001LRG.jpg

I was going to fit it in mine but I'm lazy and it'll need a little bit of tweeking for the cruise.

The real explanation (not KA's attempt to fcuk with you all again), is that TRD do not officially sell the steering wheel outside of their domestic Japanese market anymore, due to international legislation in some countries, that does not allow aftermarket steering wheels with airbags to be retro fitted.

They still sell the steering wheel in Japan, but that is the only place you are able to buy them 'officially', so any TRD Steering Wheels that are for sale out side of Japan, are either old stock from before they stopped exporting them, or have been bought from a domestic trader in Japan (ie. not directly from TRD themselves).

Ask Chiefgroover if they work, he was hit the other day and his TRD steering wheel airbag went off.

Happy with mine Nic, even though not fitted yet. looking at the airbag and instructions etc I can't see any reason for it not to go off when needed.

My £20 offer is still open to Ka, I'll be happy to take it off of him at this price seeing that it's useless clutter in his opinion;) then I could sell it on for a healthy profit:rlol:

Paul

Those ones on ebay could be the dodgy ones that nic is talking about.

I think you misunderstood me, I'm not saying there are dodgy ones, it is just that TRD have stopped selling them abroad, because the laws in many countries have changed so they are no longer able to sell aftermarket airbag steering wheels. They still sell the same steering wheels in Japan.

I'll pm you prices.

Thats shocking! I dont see the point in a company going to the expense to make a wheel that houses an airbag when it wont work anyway. Weird!

Mate, if you have read any of this guys other posts, you will know that he has a very furtive imagination.... shall we say ;)

TRD (a division of Toyota) have been selling their steering wheel for years now. Somehow, I doubt they would continue to sell the steering wheel if there were cases where it didn't deploy and someone had been injured or killed. The car industry has VERY strict regulations and TRD/Toyota is the biggest car manufacturer in the world, so I tend to believe they know what they are doing.

Guest KARacing

The TRD Steering wheel is made for 97+ Supra (RHD only), so if yours is 97+ and RHD, it will be ok "I think". Again, play for your own risk

Guest KARacing
Mate, if you have read any of this guys other posts, you will know that he has a very furtive imagination.... shall we say ;)

You know nothing about TRD parts, mate. You are just a private seller, not a dealer from HK. Since you are selling parts to people, so you should learn about the parts details and "experience" and then sell it with responsibility. IF you lied to them about the airbag problem, then someone might lost his life if he got an accident because the TRD airbag really didnt work. Will you feel guilty (I hope you will). Buy a TRD catalog from your supplier and read it on page 131 about TRD Steering Wheel details. The catalog is very cheap, Only $200 in HKD

Guest KARacing
I think you misunderstood me, I'm not saying there are dodgy ones, it is just that TRD have stopped selling them abroad, because the laws in many countries have changed so they are no longer able to sell aftermarket airbag steering wheels. They still sell the same steering wheels in Japan.

I'll pm you prices.

TRD Japan NEVER export the steering wheel (with airbag one) to anywhere in the world since they came out. Please stop your lie. If you want to confirm this thing. It is very easy to do it. Let's meet up and go to TRD Hong Kong (You should know where it is ;) ) and ask them about it. Please stop hiding and ignore my question.

Guest KARacing
OK mate, I'll give you £20 plus postage for your old TRD steering wheel then:rolleyes:

PM me!

Paul

I can sell it for £250 easily in HK used market if i want, so No thanks! :Popcorn: