The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cruise Control

Flipfinger

Okay, I think a similar thread *might* have been opened on this, but it was much too technical for me to understand.

My cruise control doesn't work over 70mph.  In fact, I can't get it to work much over 65mph.  What can I do to change this for when I go to Germany (because obviously I wouldn't DREAM of doing over 70 on the UK highways)?

Funny you should mention that. My cruise does something it's *absolutely* impossible for it to do. It tops out at 70MPH whether I feed the odo output signal with 1:1 speed data or 8:5 speed data.

This *has* to mean someone's f****d about with the feed to the cruise but there are other symptoms which imply that maybe they haven't.

I exchanged views on this with Pete and we are in total agreement, it's impossible, but it does it.

The dashboard comes off (again) this weekend for me to fit the RL TC, prior to popping up to Pete's. I'm gonna give the cruise ECU a very thick coat of looking at and prove once and for all that it hasn't been modded.

If I'm right, it hasn't, then the moment Pete's finished with his poking about, I'm gonna prove it's doing the impossible with a witness.

As to feeding the cruise with an 8:5 signal to increase your cruise speed, I would strongly recommend fitting Pete's new speed convertor, *especially* if you have an automatic gearbox, at the same time.

Apart from the 8:5 signal for the speedo, you'll get a capped 1:1 signal output and other useful features of the HKS SLD too.

Quote: from Paul Booth on 7:19 pm on Sep. 26, 2001[br]As to feeding the cruise with an 8:5 signal to increase your cruise speed, I would strongly recommend fitting Pete's new speed convertor, *especially* if you have an automatic gearbox, at the same time.

Apart from the 8:5 signal for the speedo, you'll get a capped 1:1 signal output and other useful features of the HKS SLD too.

Paul,

Are you saying that Pete's new converter is as good as the HKS SLD for an auto, or that its best to use both together?

Quote: from Darren Blake on 10:22 pm on Sep. 27, 2001[br]
Quote: from Paul Booth on 7:19 pm on Sep. 26, 2001[br]As to feeding the cruise with an 8:5 signal to increase your cruise speed, I would strongly recommend fitting Pete's new speed convertor, *especially* if you have an automatic gearbox, at the same time.

Paul,

Are you saying that Pete's new converter is as good as the HKS SLD for an auto, or that its best to use both together?

The HKS SLD does 2 main things:

1. uses a 1:1 signal for the PPS, Engine/ECTS, so the gear changes and PPS weight are 'as designed' but caps the frequency to just under 112MPH so the Engine ECU never applies the throttle cut.

2. Moves the final gear change, from 3 to 4, when accelerating hard to around 120MPH instead of around 90MPH.

It also removes the TRC at speeds in excess of 100MPH.

Pete's new speed converter will do everything except the TRC disable above 100MPH. I guess it could do that but the purpose seems vague.

So, in other words, if you manually disabled the TRC, Pete's new converter will do everything the HKS SLD does.

I'm using the HKS SLD and my gear changes have never been so smooth and the steering feels so much better at mid-range speeds. Pete is currently running a test module with everything except the re-positioned gear-change and he tells me he is experiencing the same improvements. The plan is that he will implement the gear change on his test unit next week.

Quote: from Paul Booth on 11:06 pm on Sep. 27, 2001[br]So, in other words, if you manually disabled the TRC, Pete's new converter will do everything the HKS SLD does.

Except (currently) moving the gearchange.

So the HKS SLD is just a speed signal clamper, and the connections to the gearbox are for the gear remapping?

TRC is traction control, yes? Unless I'm mistaken I don't have than on my SZ, so apart from the gear mapping Pete's new converter might suit me fine.