The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whats this? Should it be this bent?

green_dragon

Kind of embarrassing really.

We went out for a curry in Notts last night with some friends, on the way home, about 11 'o clock we were on a bit of dual carrageway so I thought I'd be really clever and undertake him:idea: . Not going mega fast, about 50 (he was driving a smart car), aproached a roundabout going downhill, started braking. Nothing happened apart from ABS going crazy, no steering and no slowing down :scare:

Then just glided over the bit that guides you onto roundabout:ecstatic: Oh how we laughed

Then just kind of limped home feeling like a right plonker:no:

Stress in that type of metal would almost certainly result in failure of the component if you bent it back. Its cast metal and as such very granular. Distorting it in the fashion you have done will have caused shears across the grains. Picture those funny sand pictures you can buy move them about and the grains inside shift. same thing happens in cast metals. Weak points will be generated and only small forces will cause complete shearing across grain structure resulting in cracking and probably complete snapping of the component.

Laymans terms NO you can't bend it straight again unless you use some serious heat treatment.

...on the PLUS side, it's good to know that there is considerable margin of damage there before it gives up.

Well built the Supra, I bet another make would have left you stranded with the wheel hanging at a weird angle.

(I do hope that the 'bend it back' posts were meant to be funny )