The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thor Dials ( needle issues)

Guest kennyf

Fitted my Thor dials but now my speedo takes ages to rise and just as long to fall , I can be doing what i'd guess to be 20mls an hour and the needle still hasn't moved .:cry:

Any ideas what I've done ? ( apart from a bad fitting job!!!)

that dont sound to good :p

Cheers for the input!!! lol :D

Um, its not rubbing is it?

Checked that , drove round with the cover off the dials and made sure it wasn't sticking , just seems as if I've maybe got the needle set in the wrong position but even once moved its just the same.

Tried twiddling the needle 360* and it just meant it didn't move at all ......:giveup:

I should avoid DIY like Baldric avoids soap!

did you push the needles back on with everything connected while the car was idling?

:yeahthat: thats the best way from my experience with the FTO dials(I've fitted 10+sets of the dials)...put the neeldle in at the position of 800rpm while the engine is runing, I do have a fitting guide for the FTO might be helpful, i can find it out if u want?

I didn't no, is that the best way to do it. The instructions just said mark where the needles came to rest before removal and refit in that space. I thought that the speedo needle would stay stationary on the resting pin untill moving tho?

The fitting guide could give me some pointers if its not too much trouble mate.

May be a long shot, but do your interior lights still work? When I took my dash apart I blew the fuse for the interior lights :blush: and it more or less knocked out the speedo too :whistle: It'd jiggle slightly now and again but no more than that.

That'd be too easy , my supra likes to make me sweat , therefore all my interior lights work fine !! :(

did you push the needles back on with everything connected while the car was idling?
put the neeldle in at the position of 800rpm while the engine is runing
I think he's having the problem with the speedo though - not the rev counter.

Kenny,

Is the speedo accurate once it's registering above zero mph? The problem is that setting the needle to the zero postion while the car is stationary doesn't work because there is a fair bit of slack. The only way I could do mine was to have somebody else fit the needle on while I drove at a steady 60mph according to my GPS. There might be a better way but I don't know of one.

Kenny,

Is the speedo accurate once it's registering above zero mph? The problem is that setting the needle to the zero postion while the car is stationary doesn't work because there is a fair bit of slack. The only way I could do mine was to have somebody else fit the needle on while I drove at a steady 60mph according to my GPS. There might be a better way but I don't know of one.

Might need to give that a go , try and borrow someones Tom Tom.

Hi Kenny,

Just to let you know I've never had a problem with my Thor dials. Thor fitted them!:)

I'm under no illusions thats it my fitting skills that are in question . :D

Just struggling to work out the best way to resolve it .... :help:

Kenny,

sry didnt read it carefully...but for the speedo, i fitted the needle on the right of the needle rest and then bend it over to the left, it works for me :yes:

mate, give pete/nod a call.

Is it jap spec car and jap speedo? I say that cos I managed to have a UK spec speedo on my Jspec car and had same sypthoms 'speedo takes ages to rise and just as long to fall , I can be doing what i'd guess to be 20mls an hour and the needle still hasn't moved '

Cheers,

Ro

mate, give pete/nod a call.

Is it jap spec car and jap speedo? I say that cos I managed to have a UK spec speedo on my Jspec car and had same sypthoms 'speedo takes ages to rise and just as long to fall , I can be doing what i'd guess to be 20mls an hour and the needle still hasn't moved '

Cheers,

Ro

Ro , I'm not sure what the diference is to distinguish between the two? It was fine before I "mucked about" with the needle but if thats an option to look into its worth a try....

Ok , now the speedo isn't working at all? I've took it completely out and the needle when pulled round the dial and falls again always settles about 1/2cm above the resting pin , opinions?

Hi buddy I pulled it out (the cluster that is!! :p) but recently I've realised you could prob do it in situ if your careful... The worry I think would be snapping the needle due to having poor leverage on it.