The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Locked Diff?

Guest steve48

Guest steve48

Hi Guys,

Need some help!!!

Just been to look at a Supra that was advertised on e-bay, its a 94 (M reg) with full bodykit etc. The problem is the car has a LOCKED DIFF, therefore both wheels are turning together all the time!! I told the guy that I needed to get some advice on this as I am a little doubtful that this is not a good idea for road use. Surely you would be scrubbing tyres out on each bend, and personally I can't see how this can be road legal. I may be wrong on both accounts, but is anyone on here got some info on this sort of set up?? i.e. should you be able to switch it back to standard etc. etc. Any advice would be greatly received.

Cheers

Steve.

Guest steve48

Thanks Ian,

No this was definately a locked diff. When he turned it around the car park with right lock on the drivers wheel started to skip and spin:shrug:

Locked in the true sense would be either welded up, or, done propery, a spool, with the planetary gears removed and a proper solid centre section added. I have never seen the latter commercially available, so one might assume it's welded up, or just a very tightly set plate type LSD. Neither is suitable for road usage, so budget on a diff change, maybe 300 for a complete axle asembly, plus 100 or so to fit, using secondhand parts.