The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance: If your car is 10+ years old

supRo

Lancaster offers a classic car policy which worked out much better for me than Sky.

I have listed all my BPU mods and Carbon fibre bonnet, CF Mirrors, CF spoiler, lowered suspension, body kit and 18" wheels. I have agreed value of 12K, NCB protection, drive other cars, Limited to 15K miles p/a (I think that's reasonable?) I have 5 years NCB, 6 points and 1 non-fault accident. However I have a dodgy post code (Luton!)...Sky quoted £1800 and Lancaster did it for £1100 including breakdown cover and legal cover..

:)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

arnt they good, did you speak to jessica,

mine is 1700 fully comp, 21 with 1ncb. side skirts, front, rear spats, spoiler, lowered, filter,exhaust,uprated intercooler, steering wheel, alloys.

up to 10,000 miles.

j-spec 6 speed twinturbo, lol...

maybe i should have valued my 95 more than £9,500.

Did you had to explain what the purpose your mods were for ?

Great thing with Sky is you say "I've got an Ebc." They instantly know what your talking about. What you don't want is

"I've got a HKS SSQ BOV fitted."

"Oh right. What's that for ?"

"It vents the pressure from the turbo's to atmosphere."

"Ohhh kaayyy. So, that add BHP ?"

And you answer, exasperated ... "No. It just makes a pfftshhhhhh - noise when you let off the gas."

As asked before:

- Do they give a "guaranteed value"

- Do they swap mods like-for-like

If not then they can't be worth much to most of us here (well maybe just the 25yr+ peeps)

For £15 they will give a guarenteed value, just specify your mods and send 6 pics to them (front, rear, both sides, under the bonnet and interior)

i found out today that Bell direct will not insure me with my new mods . i have been with them for 5 years . when i stated i wanted the car valued with the mods on it , the turned round and said that it will only be valued at the market rate , which is 8000 for a 1996 uk 6spd. So i went to adrian flux and got quoted for a 600bhp car with mods for 845 . 9 yrs ncb no points 36 years , i found that expensive compared to 450 for the past 5 years.

I once had "FMIC is that like a turbo ? Oh, it's not on my list so, I'll put it down as a turbo as that is " :eek:

I tried to explain to tesco once what a FMIC was/did. when the new policy documents came through it said, "BONNET VENT/AIR INTAKE - £1000"

It was then i realised id never get my money out of them if i crashed!

Now with Sky! :clap:

Admirals online quote have the Supra as a Turbo not a twin turbo so I took that as meaning that my T61 was a factory option, and the lovely indian women on the phone didn't understand that it only had one turbo and not two as its meant to have ( so I've heard) so I did my part and told her if she puts through a duff quote given the facts its hardly my fault!! :D

Worked out my renewal should be about £845ish , 25 , 4 years NCB, clean license and a post code that makes pondlife look posh.

Does that seem excessive to anyone or is that ok?

Admirals online quote have the Supra as a Turbo not a twin turbo so I took that as meaning that my T61 was a factory option, and the lovely indian women on the phone didn't understand that it only had one turbo and not two as its meant to have ( so I've heard) so I did my part and told her if she puts through a duff quote given the facts its hardly my fault!! :D

Worked out my renewal should be about £845ish , 25 , 4 years NCB, clean license and a post code that makes pondlife look posh.

Does that seem excessive to anyone or is that ok?

Great if it works out! :ok: I think tho, I'd be concerned that if I ever needed to claim - the insurance company would find a way to wriggle out of it. :whistle: Especially as Admiral is anti-mod

Great if it works out! :ok: I think tho, I'd be concerned that if I ever needed to claim - the insurance company would find a way to wriggle out of it. :whistle:

Agreed but don't they always, if they really are determined not to pay out they'll find some reason. However I went out my way to explain so working on the assumption ( mother of all feck ups) that their staff are trained and competent then the recorded phone would hopefully vindicate me of any wrong doing.

Think my next policy i would prefer to have guaranteed value and like for like tho.....

Agreed but don't they always, if they really are determined not to pay out they'll find some reason.

Oh, for sure. But If I have to claim from Sky - it's no problem .. as mine is covered as a T61 Turbo Conversion.

But imho - if you can do everything possible to cover yourself .. then it's going to save alot of grief later on. I'd rather not have to argue an insurance company because of a techinicallity relying on the insurance company to have everything documented properly.

However I went out my way to explain so working on the assumption ( mother of all feck ups) that their staff are trained and competent then the recorded phone would hopefully vindicate me of any wrong doing.

I personally think, if you don't mind me saying, that you're putting too much stock/faith in their ability, honesty & competence.

What fueling / ignition management are you using & how did you explain that to Admiral ?

Oh, for sure. But If I have to claim from Sky - it's no problem .. as mine is covered as a T61 Turbo Conversion.

But imho - if you can do everything possible to cover yourself .. then it's going to save alot of grief later on. I'd rather not have to argue an insurance company because of a techinicallity relying on the insurance company to have everything documented properly.

I personally think, if you don't mind me saying, that you're putting too much stock/faith in their ability, honesty & competence.

What fueling / ignition management are you using & how did you explain that to Admiral ?

:yeahthat:

I didn't fancy trying to explain the emanage as it took long enough for her not to understand the turbo situation. The main reason I stayed with them was I still had 6mths of my policy left , come renewal time I plan moving to a company where I can actually get "like for like".

The Supra Mk III comes in 2 models (IIRC) - an NA and

... a single turbo .... :whistle:

I thought that at first but it was a 1993- and it was the only turbo option there.

cant find the mkiv supra on the online system mate? do i need to call up?

Yup, best to call them up

How old are you SupRo? Sorry if i missed it. Its that time of year again for me too :(

I'm 26 but it's my postcode thats dodgy! :(

Ro, does this include a guaranteed value? All mods like for like? Or are they replaced with stock items?

some of the many reasons why Sky are my insurer of choice.

Always on the look out for ways to reduce my premium though.

Mike

Yes Guranteed (Agreed value) though it costs £15 for this which was included in the quote

Not the most knowledgeable people about mods (probably used to insuring real classic cars! lol) but they were ok. You may need to explain the mod. Just check that it's on the quotation paper before you hand the cash over. They check the mods with their underwriters anyway before quoting.

My excess was good too..£250. Allot more with Sky.

Try speaking to Jessica or Harriet.

Guys and gals, with any insurance quotations, ask to have the quotation with model and mods sent to you before accepting. In my experience many insurance companies 'accidently' put you car model down e.g. MKIII instead of MKIV or miss mods (so that they quote you cheap and tie you in). Once you have taken out the policy and tell them of their mistake they usually reply with 'that'll be £XXX extra :no: !!!!!

Mawby/Mods,

Hope you don't mind me posting this thread, I appreciate that hardwork has gone into setting up the deal with Sky and loadsa people are happy with them.

I thought that I should post this thread as I made a considerable saving (may not be the same for others) and that most supras are 'L' reg! (car needs to be 10+ years old for this classic car policy).

Thanks,

Ro